Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I gotta ask... What's the reason having a tent in the bed of your trunk is so popular? What so bad about just setting up a tent on the ground, the old-fashioned way? Doing that you could have a tent of any size you like far bigger than one you could fit in the bed of the truck. The only thing I can think of is if you lived in some area where there were snakes or bugs or some critters you were trying to keep from coming into your tent. Other than that, I see no advantage to these roof top or bed top tents which always cost a whole lot more.
Sponsored

Luthinator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Mav. Lariat Hybrid & 23' Ford Explorer XLT+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried taking pictures from Illinois. It was raining and cloudy all day 😔

Adrienhyatt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Camde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadiewhite
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I decided to road trip down to West Texas to check out the solar eclipse. Andrews County, TX has a park that allows camping and is a few miles north of the center of the path. I'd seen a thread here a few months ago about using a cot tent in the bed so I'd pick one up. Truck tent

This was the first non-driveway test for me.

IMG_6607.JPEG

IMG_6608.JPEG

No chance of rain so I didn't bother with the fly. After I'd set up the caretaker came by (whose name I sadly didn't get) to collect their fee. Upon seeing it was a tent and not a "camper" he let me know he didn't feel right about collecting the $10 from tenters and told me to have a good night. :)

My cheapie "30 Degree" sleeping bag from Amazon was more than good enough for the 45-degree night but it did make getting up in the morning difficult. Eventually, the bladder won out.

Enjoyed the show listening to the college pregame shows and early games. There were a few others out there with nice camera and filter setups. In keeping with my theme, I used the 'holding the glasses in front of the cell phone' method for these beauties.

IMG_6621.JPEG

IMG_6632.JPEG

IMG_6636.JPEG

Was thankful for the great weather and looking forward to the next one which will be total in April next year.
Next year's will be 1000 times more dramatic. I've seen two total eclipses. You won't be disappointed except for how short it lasts.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I decided to road trip down to West Texas to check out the solar eclipse. Andrews County, TX has a park that allows camping and is a few miles north of the center of the path. I'd seen a thread here a few months ago about using a cot tent in the bed so I'd pick one up. Truck tent

IMG_6607.JPEG

IMG_6608.JPEG

No chance of rain so I didn't bother with the fly. After I'd set up the caretaker came by (whose name I sadly didn't get) to collect their fee. Upon seeing it was a tent and not a "camper" he let me know he didn't feel right about collecting the $10 from tenters and told me to have a good night. :)

My cheapie "30 Degree" sleeping bag from Amazon was more than good enough for the 45-degree night but it did make getting up in the morning difficult. Eventually, the bladder won out.

Enjoyed the show listening to the college pregame shows and early games. There were a few others out there with nice camera and filter setups. In keeping with my theme, I used the 'holding the glasses in front of the cell phone' method for these beauties.

IMG_6621.JPEG

IMG_6632.JPEG

IMG_6636.JPEG

Was thankful for the great weather and looking forward to the next one which will be total in April next year.
so happy for your experience! wonderful photos as well. weather where i live made live viewing impossible for me :(
however where i live is dead center in the path of totality for next April's total eclipse :) people are traveling from all over the world to get here to see it and all the family and i will have to do is go out in the front yard :) :) REALLY hoping for good viewing conditions for that one but weather in early April can be iffey around here that time of year. i kid you not it's not unheard of to get snow!

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve been lucky enough to see both eclipse in 17 drove to St. Louis. Sat was at my moms south texas and next one is at my house north texas. Good spot you picked we were cloudy but got to see it still and I made some good money.

Most people don’t pay attention to stuff like this and I bought up 500 pair of glasses back in the summer and sat on them. Day of everyone was looking for some and I was the only one around mom said she felt like a drug dealer with how much traffic we had. Thanks to her freind who works at Walmart everyone who came in looking for some got sent to me.
pure Genius!

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse 20231014_115320
shadows and gaps of the ring of fire. Clouds just cleared mins before totality.

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@BAScott62 very nice to see someone else try this setup with the Maverick.

I no longer travel this way but this flooded me with nostalgia of when I first started traveling in the Mav.

Very cool. Hope you have many more fun adventures.

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I camped in southeast Utah close to Mexican Hat, overlooking the San Juan River. Used $1 eclipse glasses over Canon SX40HS DSLR camera to get these shots.

Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse 20231014_095650

Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse IMG_3294.JPG

Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse IMG_3330.JPG

Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse IMG_3352.JPG

Ford Maverick Short overnight camping for the Ring of Fire Eclipse IMG_3367.JPG

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

IMG_6607.JPEG

IMG_6608.JPEG

IMG_6621.JPEG

IMG_6632.JPEG

IMG_6636.JPEG

Booyah 👊🏽😁👍🏽🇺🇸
Pretty darn nefty
Sponsored