First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sucks. Hopefully you can find shop skilled enough to fix.

This is why I got a trailer hitch step. Not saying it would have saved you in the situation, but it can protect your bumper in a minor fender bender.
Isn't the point of the bumper to protect you in a minor fender bender? Seems Ford over-engineered the bumper if the energy keeps passing on to the unibody. I've been in rear-enders in other vehicles and the solution to all of them was to simply pull the bumper back out as only its own mounting was bent.
Sponsored

nklem

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 and 2022 Hyundai Ioniq Electrics
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep us posted. I fear the worst as that frame component needs to be fully replaced. Pick the best shop you can, it’s your choice And they’re paying.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sucks. Hopefully you can find shop skilled enough to fix.

Isn't the point of the bumper to protect you in a minor fender bender? Seems Ford over-engineered the bumper if the energy keeps passing on to the unibody. I've been in rear-enders in other vehicles and the solution to all of them was to simply pull the bumper back out as only its own mounting was bent.
It's the new world we live in now Bob, bumpers no longer bump, apparently. There are just there for looks.

To the OP, very sorry to see that happen indeed. Here's hoping that is fixable.

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

From what I’ve seen that will be totaled

Replacement value is what you need to fight for…. Luckily the order banks are open now so you can grab an order for a new one

Trucks in general do not seem to like being rear ended

Sponsored

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel your pain. 6000 miles on my XLT and hit from behind last Saturday while stopped at a light. Mine looks more mild than yours but the trailer hitch took most of the impact.

homerdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Almost got rearended the other day. I was looking for a coffee shop and saw it a little late, hit the brakes, the guy behind me was following too close and locked up his brakes. I saw him coming really close, hit the gas and made the turn. Freaked the wife out but avoided getting run into.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20230722_205227.jpg

20230722_171830.jpg

I just have bad luck with vehicles and other drivers on the road. On the way to a friend's house today I got rear-ended getting onto the interstate in my new 2023 Maverick that I waited 8 months for and have had for a bit over a month. Not super optimistic since the trailer hitch is bent down a bit but will have to wait and see what the collision center says about the frame rails. Also the back left parking sensor has fallen out and is dangling inside the bumper.

Anyone have any insight into how available parts are for bumper repair and trailer hitch repair? I fear frame damage but is there anything else I should be concerned about after a rearending like this? It wasn't crazy hard of an impact since I was still moving when they hit me but all their force went into the trailer hitch receiver.
Looks like very minimal damage, maybe not even enough to cover your deductible?

Sponsored

Red Hot Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From what I’ve seen that will be totaled

Replacement value is what you need to fight for…. Luckily the order banks are open now so you can grab an order for a new one

Trucks in general do not seem to like being rear ended
Gap insurance?

CC_Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those Frame horns being bent dont help the cause. If their insurance adjuster gives you much greif, remind them of Dim Value as well.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actuallly, there IS a Frame of sorts...
Call it a frame or a hitch mount. Whatever you call it, it is held on by four bolts and if that mount ever gets bent you don't sweat it, you just replace it yourself in the driveway. But as we have seen in several crashes from the rear, that hitch mount does nothing but transfer force to the unibody box rails. The unibody will bend before that steel hitch mount does.

Here's a Mav that got totalled, not sure if he ever posted pics of the box 'rails'
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...and-likely-a-total-loss-update-totaled.27791/

That type of damage would likely never total out a body on frame truck, but it is a different story when it comes to unibody.

And I have seen plenty of totaled unibodys get repaired, that had extensive damage. But I have seen far fewer get repaired to the level of quality I would accept - and by that I mean load my family in and drive all day. And those that were done right had extensive time invested.

And that is why insurance companies total them. Not because it can't be done, but because it is incredibly expensive to do right if you have to pay someone else to do it. The people who make out buying salvage unibody vehicles are the people who have the tools, skill, and time to do a proper repair themselves. And that ain't most people.

Last edited:

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Call it a frame or a hitch mount. Whatever you call it, it is held on by four bolts and if that mount ever gets bent you don't sweat it, you just replace it yourself in the driveway.

Here's a Mav that got totalled, not sure if he ever posted pics of the box 'rails'
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...and-likely-a-total-loss-update-totaled.27791/

That type of damage would likely never total out a body on frame truck, but it is a different story when it comes to unibody.

And I have seen some totaled unibodys get repaired, that had extensive damage. But I have seen far fewer get repaired to the level of quality I would accept, and those that were done right had extensive time invested. And that is why insurance companies total them. Not because it can't be done, but because it is incredibly expensive to do right. The people who make out buying salvage unibody vehicles are the people who have the tools, skill, and time to do a proper repair.
Ya, it depends on how far forward that section goes.
It could be "Straightened", but would that compromise the "Structural" integrity of the truck and how does insurance work with that? Haven forbid a second collision, down the road... :unsure:

Jerry
Sponsored