First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads in Maverick Land. Wanted to give a shout-out to my dad for converting from a lifetime of owning Chevy and GM trucks to owning a Maverick at the age of 87.

When I bought my Hot Pepper Red Maverick in March 2022, my dad fell in love with after showing it off to him several time. I really like the HPR color, but like the blue just a little bit better. Also, long term I wanted to have an AWD truck, plus I wanted a sunroof and Lux package.

So, I mentioned to my dad last summer that I was going to order a 2023 Maverick when the order banks opened. (BTW, I bought my HPR from a dealer 175 miles away when the original buyer declined the order.) Late last August, he called me at 6am one morning. I thought something had happened to my mom… but he asked me if I would be would willing to sell him my Maverick after I received my new one. He said he would pay fair market price for it. Of course, I said yes.

So, I ordered my Atlas Blue Maverick on 9/15/2022 and the waiting began…. I received several of the 45-day update emails, but finally on February 9, I received an email from Ford that my Maverick was scheduled for production. It was declared built by Ford on 4/23, and shipped on 5/2.

As a side note, the most aggravating thing in the entire logistics process was the time my Maverick spent in the rail yard in Chicago (nearly 4 weeks). The rail yard is like a black hole where neither the folks at Ford Customer Service nor my dealership could give me a straight answer on whether my truck would be delivered in 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months. It was very frustrating and that’s the one thing I ripped Ford Motor Company on in my evaluation of the purchase of my truck.

Enough ranting…. On June 8 my truck was delivered to the dealership and I took possession the following day. The folks at Expressway Ford in Mt Vernon honored the original MSRP and did not go the hard-sell route on the gimmicky extras that many dealerships would do.

Later in the day on June 9, Dad and I officially transferred ownership of the HPR Mav. The Maverick replaces a 2002 Chevy Silverado with 280,000 miles on it. (My brother has taken ownership of this truck.)

I went down to visit him yesterday for Father’s Day and my brother took the picture below. He loves the truck, but is, shall we say, technology-challenged, so I was happy to continue showing him how the drive modes worked, Auto-Stop, etc.

My parents have custody of their 17 year old granddaughter, and she loves the Maverick; even more than the Hyundai Sonata that my parents recently bought.

I’m very happy that I was able to get the 2022 Maverick to him. I was so worried earlier in the year that my 2023 order would never get built, etc.; and my dad’s not getting any younger.

I never thought I would see the day that my dad would drive, much less own, a Ford product. This just shows the wide appeal of the Maverick.

Once again, Happy Father’s Day to All!!

Ford Maverick Life-long Chevy man converts to Ford Maverick Maverick Photo_17 Jun 2023
Sponsored

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing and the picture! Happy Father’s Day!

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s an Awesome story, what a wonderful Father’s Day. If he’s like me he will really appreciate the ease of getting in/out of it. I always drove 4x4 F150’s but my body was starting to fuss

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Happy Father's Day! And thanks for sharing your story.

I love the Maverick and would likely remain a fan if I could get an EcoBoost.
As mine nears 30K miles, with a little bumper-to-bumper warranty left, my confidence is shaken with my hybrid due to unresolved issues. As I start to ponder alternatives, the EcoBoost looks appealing, but I can't stomach the wait, which would be at-risk due to warranty expiration of my current Maverick. Seems like I was mistaken thinking the hybrid was the safer choice for long-term ownership vs. the turbo.

Congratulations again, enjoy those Mavericks!

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

As mine nears 30K miles, with a little bumper-to-bumper warranty left, my confidence is shaken with my hybrid due to unresolved issues. As I start to ponder alternatives, the EcoBoost looks appealing, but I can't stomach the wait, which would be at-risk due to warranty expiration of my current Maverick. Seems like I was mistaken thinking the hybrid was the safer choice for long-term ownership vs. the turbo.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but understand. I can say I've been extremely pleased with my AWD EB, couldn't be happier. Not a single issue, zero recalls, not even a squeak or rattle anywhere. Maybe consider ordering yourself a MY24 when the order banks open and ride it out. Hopefully with the new 3rd shift being on board by then things will improve some. You'll still have the major power train components still covered on your hybrid. Just a thought.

breal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick FX4 4K CP360 Lux in Cyber Orange
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Congratulations! I'm glad your 2023 made it out of the Chicago rail yard quagmire.
BTW, I drove Chevy trucks for the last 33 yrs before my Maverick.

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congratulations! I'm glad your 2023 made it out of the Chicago rail yard quagmire.
BTW, I drove Chevy trucks for the last 33 yrs before my Maverick.
Thanks. As I recall, our trucks were built within a few days of each other and were almost certainly on the same train to Chicago (maybe even on the same freight car lol). I think you got your truck about a week before me.

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks. I considered the Hybrid but couldn’t / wouldn’t for the following reasons:
  1. The extremely lopsided ratio of Hybrids / EB with respect to Ford’s production constraints, making it relatively unlikely that my Hybrid would ever get built.
  2. The Hybrid reliability issues documented throughout this forum and mentioned in your post.
  3. The fact that I work in the petroleum industry, and there’s a definite bias against Hybrids and most definitely against EVs.
When I retire in 7-10 years, if the Hybrid becomes available with AWD and Ford resolves the production issues, I will seriously consider a Hybrid Maverick. Until then I’m happy with the EcoBoost.

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your Dad looks seriously amazing for 87!

Sponsored
OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have made my Father's Day with this story. Your dad is blessed to have a son who cares so much. I lost my only daughter a few years ago, and have one son who - well, haven't seen him in a few years, so to read such a story really makes me feel good at 76. Send my best regards to your dad and wishing him improved health and many more years in his Maverick.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What an awesome Father's Day story -- thanks! I'm also so glad to see others of the "Mature" demographic enjoying their Mavs. :)
Sponsored