Sponsored

Help me give info to NHTSA - rear view camera (time sensitive)

Have you experienced backup camera issues of any kind?

• Total voters

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am proof that NHTSA pays attention when you take five minutes of your time to create an issue online. Some months ago I posted a report that my rear view camera was occasionally laggy. It sometimes didn't display for several seconds, and it sometimes froze for a second or two while backing up. Most of the time it works fine (and I said that in my report). It's a small issue, but when the camera doesn't come up for a few seconds - but that's long enough to run over a kid or somebody's pet. So I reported it and moved on. I figured nothing would come of it.

Anyway, I've been contacted by an NHTSA investigative engineer and I plan to answer his request for more information tomorrow. I'd love to include any factual information from others on MTC. If your backup camera is perfect, feel free to let me know. If you've experienced lagginess now and then, I'd love to know that too.

Sad that I have to say this, but this is MTC. Kindly keep it civil.

Also, this thread will be irrelevant on 3 July 2024. By that time I'll have communicated back to the investigating engineer.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2023 Lariat Lux. I have not seen it freeze or lag before. I have noticed a slight delay in it displaying if I immediately throw it in reverse after turning on the truck; but I've always chalked that up to the infotainment system taking a few seconds to boot. I've never had it delay in showing in any other circumstance.

Toddman45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT, Ford explorer Platinum, Chevy E
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've noticed lagginess on my 24 xlt when I've looked at the backup camera screen.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe 5% of the time my backup camera takes a few seconds to display after I put it in reverse. That being said, I can tell the Maverick is putting the camera display and booting up of the camera feed ahead of other "startup" activities, since sometimes it seems like other radio/infotainment related activities pause to let resources go to the camera booting up. When I notice this, it is probably 90% in cases where I start the truck and toss it in reverse right away with almost no time for the truck to boot up leisurely. I bet if this gets to the stage where Ford has to reply to the NHTSA, Ford is going to show NHTSA some coding that prioritizes the camera booting up over all the other infotainment features. Then it is more of a "The driver needs to allow more than .5 seconds for the camera to boot when they crank the ignition (or push the start button) and then put it in reverse immediately" answer from Ford.

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its laggy. Completely unacceptable for this generation vehicle.

I have had it freeze to the point of putting it in drive and the frozen image being on the screen for almost a minute into the drive.

I'd be shocked if the camera meets all these requirements...

"..........The field of view must include a 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle. The system must also meet other requirements including image size, linger time, response time, durability, and deactivation."

Last edited:

Sponsored

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

'24 Lariat hybrid. I have not noticed any issues other than a little lag if I try to switch into reverse basically right after I start the truck. But by the time I usually take care of putting my seatbelt on and changing the drive mode the camera seems perfect. It do wish it was a little higher definition but it does the job.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

22 XLT Hybrid, yeah it is laggy, or slow to come on sometimes. Sound like the people with the Sync3 system have less issues than the basic unit.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes it is occasionally laggy.

I have all recalls done on my MY23 Maverick Hybrid.

Just today when trying to back out of my garage in reverse with my foot on the brake the camera showed a blank screen for at least 5 seconds. I put the truck back into park then tried reverse again and the camera was fine.

So yes the camera is still occasionally laggy or just shows nothing and has to be restarted by exiting reverse (going to park) and then doing reverse again.

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
'24 Lariat hybrid. I have not noticed any issues other than a little lag if I try to switch into reverse basically right after I start the truck. But by the time I usually take care of putting my seatbelt on and changing the drive mode the camera seems perfect. It do wish it was a little higher definition but it does the job.
The requirement for response time is 2 seconds from start of backing event which means starting and immediately putting it in reverse if fair game.

There have been many times when mine has not come close to the 2 second requirement.

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The requirement for response time is 2 seconds from start of backing event which means starting and immediately putting it in reverse if fair game.

There have been many times when mine has not come close to the 2 second requirement.
I will need to try it tomorrow morning when I get in.

Sponsored

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Screen froze once, didn't display at all briefly once.

BearyArizona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2024 Hybrid XLT. I have noted only a couple instances where it freezes trying to bring up the back-up camera for less than two seconds, but then it'll open just fine. I haven't seen any actual freezing once the camera feed begins.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am proof that NHTSA pays attention when you take five minutes of your time to create an issue online. Some months ago I posted a report that my rear view camera was occasionally laggy. It sometimes didn't display for several seconds, and it sometimes froze for a second or two while backing up. Most of the time it works fine (and I said that in my report). It's a small issue, but when the camera doesn't come up for a few seconds - but that's long enough to run over a kid or somebody's pet. So I reported it and moved on. I figured nothing would come of it.

Anyway, I've been contacted by an NHTSA investigative engineer and I plan to answer his request for more information tomorrow. I'd love to include any factual information from others on MTC. If your backup camera is perfect, feel free to let me know. If you've experienced lagginess now and then, I'd love to know that too.

Sad that I have to say this, but this is MTC. Kindly keep it civil.

Also, this thread will be irrelevant on 3 July 2024. By that time I'll have communicated back to the investigating engineer.
Mine is good. Few weeks back, I saw my neighbor walking on the sidewalk in the backup cam and quickly stopped. Luckily I had just unlocked the brakes but he was only a few feet away. I like to see the scene adjust as I slowly let off the brake. Just a reminder to be 10x more diligent. I have 2 backup cameras and 2 side mirrors, gotta use 'em all.

The manual says put it gear first (R), then disengage the parking brake. So I have that lag to work with so the cam can come up.

Last edited:

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
22 XLT Hybrid: Laggy on occasion, it's locked up and rebooted on several occasions. A few times it failed to come on at all.

TrippMe

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
22 XLT EB and experience lag on occasion.

Not a lot but more than I've seen on any other vehicle.

Also occasionally a freeze of the frame for a second.
Sponsored