N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently bought and installed an Alumax rack from KB Voodoo on my Maverick. I chose the shorter length rack at an 18” height. I also purchased optional tonneau bracket adapters and side chests.

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 41D61CCD-F1DD-497A-93C9-D4060F7562DD

I’ll add photos soon as a reply.

for anyone considering the same, I wanted to share some feedback.

Pros:
1. It fits the truck (just barely) and requires no drilling!
2. It is lightweight and easy to remove by myself.
3. It fit over the Ford hard rolling tonneau, but will require some trimming.
4. Looks neat

Cons:
1. They mixed aluminum parts with steel hardware. It is easy to damage the rack during install.
2. The rack takes a LOT of fiddling to get it adjusted and level on the truck.
3. The maker doesn’t accept returns at all on anything big.

I do not recommend the aluminum rack. The steel version is likely the better choice. Because of how delicate the aluminum rack is, I don’t expect it to last. The steel strut nuts used to assemble the top, in particular, cause a severe amount of damage when assembling the rack. That won’t be an issue with a steel part.

I would wait until someone makes a less expensive version. This rack is American made, but the maker doesn’t stand behind their products. This is Chinese-made quality with American-made prices. Might as well wait until they match.

I also purchased a set of the side chests. They are not well designed, and are somewhat dangerous. If you do buy a KB Voodoo rack, do not waste your money on the boxes. They don’t accept returns on the boxes either so now I have to pursue a chargeback through my credit card company.

overall: Right product, wrong Manufacturer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Additional Photos below. I tried to include some detailed photos to show how fitment ends up working out.

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review C22D33A7-D211-4254-BA78-A0D23BDEDDD3

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 124E333C-292E-4AF7-BF6C-D9865C7E9038

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 3A00D7C1-77F5-4F85-B3AF-685DAA2DD6C9

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 6C968D20-915C-4170-BC6C-CDC2B9EB38F1

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 258EB1A9-BC9A-4D34-8C24-2FB43998E154

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review FC66601D-3C31-45BB-B9B5-92EC5BCC0873

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review D2FEF56E-B7E6-4161-95E5-B3706FE21B79

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Man I hate to have a totally negative impression of your mods, but that just doesnt look like its very strong at all. Even at the foundation those 3/16" stamped angle steel? Lateral loads on that just dont look great to me. Anything other than watersports stuff on that just wouldnt be stable. Maybe a small RTT or a few 2x4s but not big loads. The good news is that alot of its construction is so simple that you could easily beef it up. I would start at those base mounts. Even just welding in tiny corner gussets in the corners of the upper and lower angles pieces and doubling the plate on em where it still clears the bed covers will add alot of strength. I would really look at reworking those mounts. The rest of it looks good enough. I hope it works out for you. If you havent welded before pick up a cheap $100 flux core welder at harbor freight and a good $100 hood somewhere else :ROFLMAO: and just pull the trigger and touch metal. Its about as easy a decorating a cake with a icing squeezer that is also on fire. Should be able to beef em up fairly easy with out much more than afternoon of work Then send em to a local powdercoat shop and they will look better(and stronger) than new.

Reactions: N2L
OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man I hate to have a totally negative impression of your mods, but that just doesnt look like its very strong at all.
you’re not wrong at all. It is unfortunately all aluminum. Everything twists and moves constantly. Hardware is steel so it just slowly destroys the rack.

I can fab. Time has been my primary obstacle. Not great at TIG either.

I’m going to consider some more off the shelf options though. I mainly just want to create a flat plane over the top for long loads.

I have left this rack on the truck to see how it ages mostly. Working on getting a refund and this rack creates its own proof for a quality of work claim.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

you’re not wrong at all. It is unfortunately all aluminum. Everything twists and moves constantly. Hardware is steel so it just slowly destroys the rack.

I can fab. Time has been my primary obstacle. Not great at TIG either.

I’m going to consider some more off the shelf options though. I mainly just want to create a flat plane over the top for long loads.

I have left this rack on the truck to see how it ages mostly. Working on getting a refund and this rack creates its own proof for a quality of work claim.
Well I hope you do get a refund. Really even more suprised that all the stamped pieces are aluminum. Thats some thin alloy. I' have welded aluminum but cant afford gas here on the islands. Anyways good luck with it all.

Sponsored

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for the warning about these guys and the pics. I tend to stay away from anyone not offering a guarantee or accepting returns.
I'd be afraid that thing would let go on the highway from stress cracks at those brackets.

MER21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I recently bought and installed an Alumax rack from KB Voodoo on my Maverick. I chose the shorter length rack at an 18” height. I also purchased optional tonneau bracket adapters and side chests.

41D61CCD-F1DD-497A-93C9-D4060F7562DD.jpeg

I’ll add photos soon as a reply.

for anyone considering the same, I wanted to share some feedback.

Pros:
1. It fits the truck (just barely) and requires no drilling!
2. It is lightweight and easy to remove by myself.
3. It fit over the Ford hard rolling tonneau, but will require some trimming.
4. Looks neat

Cons:
1. They mixed aluminum parts with steel hardware. It is easy to damage the rack during install.
2. The rack takes a LOT of fiddling to get it adjusted and level on the truck.
3. The maker doesn’t accept returns at all on anything big.

I do not recommend the aluminum rack. The steel version is likely the better choice. Because of how delicate the aluminum rack is, I don’t expect it to last. The steel strut nuts used to assemble the top, in particular, cause a severe amount of damage when assembling the rack. That won’t be an issue with a steel part.

I would wait until someone makes a less expensive version. This rack is American made, but the maker doesn’t stand behind their products. This is Chinese-made quality with American-made prices. Might as well wait until they match.

I also purchased a set of the side chests. They are not well designed, and are somewhat dangerous. If you do buy a KB Voodoo rack, do not waste your money on the boxes. They don’t accept returns on the boxes either so now I have to pursue a chargeback through my credit card company.

overall: Right product, wrong Manufacturer.
I’ve had one of KB Voodoo’s aluminum bed racks on my Tacoma for almost 4 years and can say I think you are overreacting and don’t have anything to worry about. These guys have been around a long time and are very well known in the off roading world . I would have to imagine they have sold hundreds, probably thousands of their bed racks over the years. Common sense would tell me if there were major issues that they wouldn’t still be in business.

Also, I’m not trying to start an argument on here but as a small business owner myself, I think it’s a pretty dirty move to file a chargeback because you don’t like a company’s return policy….especially when it appears that you have the product installed and are using it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve had one of KB Voodoo’s aluminum bed racks on my Tacoma...

Also, I’m not trying to start an argument on here but…
No arguments here. I am also a small business owner, and want people to trust American business. I go through a lot of pains to buy American whenever possible.

That is one of the reasons I dislike when a manufacturer doesn’t support their products. I am proud of everything I make. I take returns. Its part of being a member of your community and separates us from big, foreign manufacturers.

I also agree with you about not using something you didn’t pay for. I have the rack on the truck to continue gathering evidence for my CC company, but after a decision is made this is getting chopped and scrapped.

as far as longevity: I’m two weeks in and the hardware has ripped out at two bolt locations already. I have had to tighten bolts twice s, and am rubbing anti-sieze and loctite into this thing like Bengay on 80-year old knees.

I hauled about 250-lbs of 2x on the rack (12 10’ 2x6) with 4 sheets of 1/2” ply in the bed. Had to stop twice to check on the rack because it was moving a lot.

Not sure what the difference is between mine and the one on your Tacoma, but mine seems made more for the Poserlanders than people who work.

OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the warning about these guys and the pics. I tend to stay away from anyone not offering a guarantee or accepting returns.
I'd be afraid that thing would let go on the highway from stress cracks at those brackets.
I feel similarly. I wrecked a motorcycle once from someone’s ladder rack failing. A 20’ aluminum ladder broke lose and I ran it over. The driver was almost in tears himself after the accident because he thought he killed me. I do not want to be in those shoes.

I’ve stopped putting anything in or on the rack and I’m removing it as soon as my CC Company makes a decision.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As another small business owner I have to say I have had my share of dissatisfied customers. Thankfully few and far between. But it's how we as owners handle the complaints.
A no return policy is bad business to me, it proves that you know you are putting out crap. I have repaired things long after my guarantee expired just to keep the customer happy.
I looked these guys up and found a ton of bad reviews in off road forums. All for the same issues. It appears quality and customer service is failing. Maybe this is a relatively new thing.
Businesses fail even successful ones. Used to trust Craftsmen but we know how they are now.
It's to bad.

Sponsored

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I feel similarly. I wrecked a motorcycle once from someone’s ladder rack failing. A 20’ aluminum ladder broke lose and I ran it over. The driver was almost in tears himself after the accident because he thought he killed me. I do not want to be in those shoes.

I’ve stopped putting anything in or on the rack and I’m removing it as soon as my CC Company makes a decision.
Smart move I feel then same as you. Don't like the idea of taking someone out. It sucks being forced to seek reimbursement from the CC co. but sometimes people leave us no choice.

OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All,

I posted a review a while back on my purchase of a KB VooDooMax Modular Rack.

I just noticed the thread had disappeared without explanation

There were a good 3 pages of interaction I can’t replace, but I’ll do my best to summarize:

I bought the Max Modular ALUMAX 18” High Aluminum Bed Rack with 2 Max Modular Cargo Max boxes. I bought the tonneau brackets upgrade

This rack was a popular result for tonneau compatible racks in google search.

I bought the rack in mid-August, after talking to customer service/support. They were fast to respond, and researched my question before answering. With a veteran discount (which is a cool thing to offer on something this expensive) it all came out to $2,215 to my door.

The shipping was fast, and it came tracked. Parts for the rack were packed and shipped well, and the only damage from shipping was on the edge of the extruded aluminum cross bars. I believe that part was shipped by a different vendor based on packaging.

I finished installing the rack August 26th after carefully assembling the parts first on a bench in my shop, then onto the truck for a final tighten.

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review C7EEBEDF-D390-4C58-B5C7-FCED63E93A6D

The assembly process is not confidence inspiring. Its worth noting, the company doesn’t take back anything that has been assembled. After putting one together, I can see why. If you do plan to pick one of these up: I measured throughout the process to ensure things were square, and mating as they should. Highly recommend doing the same.

I ran the rack by itself for the first 100 miles, and went around re-tightening all hardware and applying thread locker. It is absolutely essential to apply threadlock. In the first 100 miles I lost two machine screws. Because the rack uses steel carriage bolts (yes, carriage bolts) in the aluminum components, nothing can be more than snug tight. Threadlock is a must.

I hauled some lumber on the rack about a week or two after the install. Despite undershooting the max weight, the rack was twisting and swaying the whole way home. I kept stopping to check hardware and make sure nothing was bending.

The tonneau brackets seem to be the most likely part to go first. These brackets are steel instead of aluminum like the rest of the rack.
Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 173B7B14-9C0F-4ACC-B306-3672ED6CF0E3

Funny enough, the flexing tonneau brackets actually broke the plastic track on one of the tonneau panels 🤷🏻‍♂️ The brackets sit underneath the rail for the rolling cover, so when they move they put strain on the rail and cover. I suspect that is how the panel over the bracket snapped.

After that trip, I took the rack off and started trying to work out a return. I’m not going to air out that whole mess here, but it has been unfun to say the least

Since taking the rack off the truck, I left it outside assembled to see how it handles the weather. The boxes let in a lot of water, and all the moving hardware has already failed. Locks, latches and hinges.

The finish has also started to fail at all the hard edges, and anywhere hardware contacts the rack. This is a common problem for this company, and was not surprising. Bears mentioning nevertheless.

the hardware is mostly stainless, so it has been holding up well. The steel nuts for the T track gall when being installed, and are not stainless it seems. I have been seeing a lot of light, rust colored drips from the t-track pieces.

In general, I don’t recommend a rack like this in aluminum. Specifically, I don’t recommend doing business with KB VooDoo based on the experience I’ve had.

If I can find a cached version of the original thread, I’ll post it below.

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 73D54A81-0452-4774-9509-1AB144F9A204

Ford Maverick Max Modular Rack Review 3CA297AC-7149-42B6-978D-212C607FC81B

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to hear about your experience with that thing. That is a Hugh price for something made that poorly. 🙁

OP
OP

N2L

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Old thread was found and merged thanks to our lovely moderation team :) Thank you.
Sponsored