First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 HPR XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok just got my 3rd fillup at 2850km (1771 miles). Let the pump automaticlly stop so no "extra" fuel added. Pumped 51.25L for distance traveled of 949.6km yields 5.397L/100km hand calculated. Dash read 5.4 so seems pretty close either way. Will check again next tank. For you US folks this is about 43.6 miles per US gal or 52.3 mpg by our old imperial measurement. This tank I would say was 20% divided hyw, 30% in town and 50% between town (country roads). This was in normal mode and pretty well sticking to speed limits. Note that our divided hyw's speed limit is 100km or 62mph, country is typically usually 70 or 80km/hr (43-50mph). tried to do mostly easy stops and gradual accelerations but not enough to slow traffic down. All reg 87 octane gas.

Does this so far seem in line to what others see? I am now trying to do a tankful running eco as long as I can remember to switch at each startup and see if I can see much difference. So far it doesn't "feel" different.

Ford Maverick Gas Mileage on my 2 month old 2024 Hybrid 1000005709
Ford Maverick Gas Mileage on my 2 month old 2024 Hybrid 1000005741
Sponsored

Last edited:

Eldrick1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's in the range, without trying to maximize hybrid fuel economy. I get just under 50 mpg driving about the same as you, except in eco mode (and 'forcing' electric by letting off gas a ciuple seconds and then slowly depressing again - I expect there is a name for this). But it's mostly dependent on # of freeway miles tbh.

The only other thing I have to add is L/100km is such a terrible unit of measure. It's really awful (and I spent most of my life in Canada). For fuel economy, higher should be better. I burn about 4.75L/100km. In a unit that makes sense, this would be about 21 km/L

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on your info (and my 32,000 km experience) I think that's where you should be. Close to 1000 km per tank in the summer and 800 in the winter. Normal efficient driving and not hold up traffic.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pulse & Glide is the name of the game. If you want to play.

Use the go pedal to get up to desired speed or 2-3 over. The "pulse".

Fully let off the pedal so the (warmed) engine shuts off. (A cold engine won't.)

Then use very gentle go pedal to "glide" for as long as possible. Coasting as much as possible.

Slippery mode is gentlest of all modes and when used to the fullest, nets highest fuel economy.

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just measured over a 200km drive averaging about 75km/hr on 75% country roads, and just got 4.2L/100km. My lifetime average is 5.3L/100km, including winter and 401 driving. This truck just works for me.

Sponsored

Vmontello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's in the range, without trying to maximize hybrid fuel economy. I get just under 50 mpg driving about the same as you, except in eco mode (and 'forcing' electric by letting off gas a ciuple seconds and then slowly depressing again - I expect there is a name for this). But it's mostly dependent on # of freeway miles tbh.

The only other thing I have to add is L/100km is such a terrible unit of measure. It's really awful (and I spent most of my life in Canada). For fuel economy, higher should be better. I burn about 4.75L/100km. In a unit that makes sense, this would be about 21 km/L
I'm getting almost the same MPG as you. Last fill up was 51 mpg. Right now on track to get 50 on this tank. And I call your kind of driving (just like mine)... grannying it..

Eldrick1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm getting almost the same MPG as you. Last fill up was 51 mpg. Right now on track to get 50 on this tank. And I call your kind of driving (just like mine)... grannying it..
Hahaha!
My wife HATES it! She's Greek and tells me I now drive like Papou.
I have no idea why I'm now suddenly obsessed by mpg. At least I don't crawl from a stop. Yet... 😂

Vmontello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hahaha!
My wife HATES it! She's Greek and tells me I now drive like Papou.
I have no idea why I'm now suddenly obsessed by mpg. At least I don't crawl from a stop. Yet... 😂
Haha... It's an ailment first time hybrid owners get. I will probably stop doing this in a year or so.

BrianA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At 15000 miles I am at 41 MPG, mostly a weekly 90 mile highway commute where the hybrid probably does not help all that much. Would be better in town driving.

North1250

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Fully let off the pedal so the (warmed) engine shuts off. (A cold engine won't.)

Then use very gentle go pedal to "glide" for as long as possible. Coasting as much as possible.

Slippery mode is gentlest of all modes and when used to the fullest, nets highest fuel economy.
All this time I've been putting it in Eco, which intuitively makes me think that would be the best mileage. Slippery is best? But the best I do on the highway is 36… But I'm going 77 mph in a straight line for five hours. On my 20 mile commute to work at 45 or so, I get about 42 to 44 MPG.

Sponsored

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In 5000 miles, my average "displayed" MPG is 46.36, and actual (pump data) is 44.39. Most of my driving is around town or in heavy freeway traffic where speeds are below 70. Short trips (engine warmup), high speeds, and running the HVAC definitely have an impact. The 50 MPG (displayed) target is tantalizing so I play games trying to maximize electric, but I've not yet been able to get that for a full tank. I feel like Don Quixote... LOL

allc0re

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my '24 Hybrid in early February and was getting 43MPG until things warmed. Now I'm getting 44. I run in eco mode unless I'm towing or driving in snow/ice.

Xcskier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my 24 hybrid Mav in early February. 2000 miles and 45mpg on the display, which seems about 5% better than my fill up numbers. I drive conservatively, mostly trips under 25 miles with 20% in-town mileage. I’m very pleased to finally have one vehicle which replaced both my 2000 Ford Ranger and my VW Jetta turbo deisel wagon while decreasing my carbon footprint.
I notice if you take your foot completely off the gas (going downhill, for instance or approaching a stop sign) in eco mode, the truck slows much more quickly than in normal mode. I assume it’s capturing more energy from transmission to battery, but how does this loss of glide result in better mpg? Why would slippery get the best mpg? Is there any objective data on any of this?

warrenlewis57

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok just got my 3rd fillup at 2850km (1771 miles). Let the pump automaticlly stop so no "extra" fuel added. Pumped 51.25L for distance traveled of 949.6km yields 5.397L/100km hand calculated. Dash read 5.4 so seems pretty close either way. Will check again next tank. For you US folks this is about 43.6 miles per US gal or 52.3 mpg by our old imperial measurement. This tank I would say was 20% divided hyw, 30% in town and 50% between town (country roads). This was in normal mode and pretty well sticking to speed limits. Note that our divided hyw's speed limit is 100km or 62mph, country is typically usually 70 or 80km/hr (43-50mph). tried to do mostly easy stops and gradual accelerations but not enough to slow traffic down. All reg 87 octane gas.

Does this so far seem in line to what others see? I am now trying to do a tankful running eco as long as I can remember to switch at each startup and see if I can see much difference. So far it doesn't "feel" different.

1000005709.jpg
1000005741.jpg
averaging 43.2 mpg for the first 10,000 miles.

BostonFordFan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for this tip! I seem to be playing pulse and go a lot on the highway. And downhill, easing off the gas pedal for as long as I can without cars ramming me from behind. LOL.
Sponsored