First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting someone thought it was more gray. These are pics of an F150 in azur gray I took at one of my local dealers. I thought it was much more of a blue than Area 51. Gave a hint of periwinkle to me.

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color 71114277059__611B25A5-B2C0-4A70-BFFC-D223371EE53C

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color 71114274093__4234DB70-CCF0-42CF-B3DB-D57C474B377D

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color 71114276036__C124C0B0-E441-4E93-9D4D-6064F4450CF2
Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My bad Azure Gray is a new colour for Maverick. If you don't like the deleted Area 51 I don't see how you would like the Azure Gray.
agree………..they are so similar. I prefer Area51 cuz it’s a lighter shade. To each his own, however.😊

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s a flat color. I never said anything about clear coat or gloss, the color itself is flat.
Flat paint is "completely nonreflective" or not glossy if you will, by definition. Area 51 is anything but flat.
For reference by example, I shall cite the time I used Ajax on my grandfather's Powder Blue 62 Ford Galaxie to remove some stubborn pine sap specks. The resulting appearance was extremely flat....but to this day, I can't figure out how he managed to maintain his composure when I showed him the fine job I did. 😉

Zolutar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid, 21 Bronco Sport OB+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Azure Gray is a metallic paint, thus the metal sparkles in it,
Area 51 is not a metallic paint, very solid colour
Otherwise, they are very much more or less the same shade of color...

Last edited:

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Flat paint is "completely nonreflective" or not glossy if you will, by definition. Area 51 is anything but flat.
For reference by example, I shall cite the time I used Ajax on my grandfather's Powder Blue 62 Ford Galaxie to remove some stubborn pine sap specks. The resulting appearance was extremely flat....but to this day, I can't figure out how he managed to maintain his composure when I showed him the fine job I did. 😉
you have described flat paint like you would use on the interior of a house, but paint applied to vehicles has a clearcoat on top of it. he's correct in regards to A51 not being a pearl or metallic finish. it is a flat urethane basecoat. the shine you see is the clearcoat.

as it relates to this thread, azure grey is metallic and it is a lighter shade than area 51. ford has a lot of dumb names for paint colors in my opinion, and sometimes has different names for the same paint code such as Cactus Grey vs Fighter Jet Grey.

Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don't like Area 51 I'd recommend Carbonized Gray Metallic.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're describing "matte" not flat.

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right. A51 is gone for '24, but they're virtually the same color. Azure Gray Metallic is metallic - whereas A51 is a non-metallic and non-sparkly color.
First, I love my A51 and get lots of compliments! Second, I talked with a Ford guy who has seen the Azure Gray and he said it’s very similar to A51 but metallic and looks more lavender/purple than blue, almost periwinkle.

Last edited:

MaverRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MachE 4EX 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do like metallic paint jobs but I would need to see them up close sitting side by side to make that decision. I also get a lot of complements on the A51 color, mostly from women! Lol

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Azure being Spanish for blue 💁🏻‍♂️
Bet you failed Spanish in high school. It's French actually. Azul en español .

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Bet you failed Spanish in high school. It's French actually. Azul en español .
French for "blue-grey five hundred dollar option", right?

It's one of those shades of blue somewhere in this pic I took a few years back!

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color IMG_20190506_121231-EFFECTS

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're describing "matte" not flat.
you have described flat paint like you would use on the interior of a house, but paint applied to vehicles has a clearcoat on top of it. he's correct in regards to A51 not being a pearl or metallic finish. it is a flat urethane basecoat. the shine you see is the clearcoat.

as it relates to this thread, azure grey is metallic and it is a lighter shade than area 51. ford has a lot of dumb names for paint colors in my opinion, and sometimes has different names for the same paint code such as Cactus Grey vs Fighter Jet Grey.
Good grief, I had no idea the subject was so complex. After trying to educate myself through a Google search, I feel only slightly better informed than I was before. (Par for the course on the internet)
As for "Matte" vs "Flat", most sources seem to agree that the terms are nearly interchangeable, except that Matte has slightly more sheen than a flat finish. I always assumed they were synonymous, but apparently not quite. In addition, much seems to depend on the industry involved as well.
Bottom line is this discussion is about real world appearances, not technicalities. And Area 51 definitely doesn't appear flat (Or matte) after all coatings have been applied and it rolls off the line. It's been transformed, much like Grandpa's Galaxy was transformed from glossy to flat after this twelve year old nitwit was through with it. 😉

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good grief, I had no idea the subject was so complex. After trying to educate myself through a Google search, I feel only slightly better informed than I was before. (Par for the course on the internet)
As for "Matte" vs "Flat", most sources seem to agree that the terms are nearly interchangeable, except that Matte has slightly more sheen than a flat finish. I always assumed they were synonymous, but apparently not quite. In addition, much seems to depend on the industry involved as well.
Bottom line is this discussion is about real world appearances, not technicalities. And Area 51 definitely doesn't appear flat (Or matte) after all coatings have been applied and it rolls off the line. It's been transformed, much like Grandpa's Galaxy was transformed from glossy to flat after this twelve year old nitwit was through with it. 😉
We mostly knew what you meant, but couldn't let it slide. :LOL:

BTW for all, if you put matte paint protection film on Area 51, it is pretty neat. Someone has probably done this with a Maverick, but there's more than a few Broncos done this way. It's a combination of more need for PPF, and more money to spend on it. :ROFLMAO:

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color IMG-3205

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We mostly knew what you meant, but couldn't let it slide. :LOL:

BTW for all, if you put matte paint protection film on Area 51, it is pretty neat. Someone has probably done this with a Maverick, but there's more than a few Broncos done this way. It's a combination of more need for PPF, and more money to spend on it. :ROFLMAO:

IMG-3205.jpg
Hey, I LIKE that! 😍

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Found a few pictures of an Azure Grey F-150 parked next to an Area 51 F-150. Pretty similar colors. Azure on the left. looks a little darker than Area 51. Why Ford? Why offer a color that is so close to the previous? Ford has too many blues IMO. They need to have a green color Maverick option available.

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color azurevsarea1

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color azurevsarea2

Ford Maverick Azure Gray vs. Area 51 color azurevsarea3
Sponsored