RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ranger, no. Escape, yes.
Nothing wrong with manual assembly lines. More labor, yes. Offset largely by less expensive automation. Need well trained workers, better ones than when I was at Chrysler. But way higher production and sales. We built 55 cars an hour over two 8 hour shifts a day. Never a shutdown for lack of parts. Third shift, 9 pm to 7 am was mine, and we repaired the spot welders, and any other maintenance items. Well oiled productive operation.
Sponsored

Sikinboat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 22 maverick hybrid on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are empty plants around the country that can be reopened. Cheap…no. But goes with the business
Sadly it’s not just reopening a plant it’s all the other businesses that need to open in the same area and getting enough workers. You need a plant that makes seats close as they take a lot of room to ship. need stamping plants within a close proximity especially since rail transport seems over capacity. As well as many other parts that need to be delivered

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Reatta, Ford Ranger, Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first post, and probably without the depth of knowledge possessed by many on this forum, but here goes. Way back in the summer of last year, it seems the organization (Ford), was surprised by the mix of models being ordered, plus the demographic target was in error as well. The customers trended older than the target demographic and the take rate for hybrids was double the prediction. Apparently, market research was correct about the demand for the product, but missed important details, primary being the mix of models and content. I would guess that by the time orders started being taken, the supply commitments were already in place, the factory and personnel already planned, so the whole process started off on the back foot. Of course, many other things have piled on since then, but Ford has been swimming upstream right from the start. I am at 15 months and counting for a hybrid.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sadly it’s not just reopening a plant it’s all the other businesses that need to open in the same area and getting enough workers. You need a plant that makes seats close as they take a lot of room to ship. need stamping plants within a close proximity especially since rail transport seems over capacity. As well as many other parts that need to be delivered
Yep. The plant I worked at has its rail yard in the place Next to a major freeway. Chrysler had it’s own stamping plant. Trains dropped off parts inside the plant. Lots of such plants , now idle. The one I worked at is being shut down the end of February by Fiat, and production moved to Mexico, or so I have been told. The point is, such capacity is available. But..such efficiency and production able to keep up with sales, is not fashionable in the auto industry today. Hence, tens of thousands of sales left unfulfilled.

Last edited:

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford is finally pissing me off. I am not upset by the things that Ford has little control of like chips and supplier delays, but I am concerned that they are doing little to meet what their customers want. For close to 2 years now they cannot build enough cars due to their manufacturing limitations. Only one plant shared with several different models. Could they not change over production in a second plant? Then Ford takes orders for 23 models and books more orders than they want to make. There are way more orders for hybris and XL so instead of trying to meet that demand, the customer can compromise from what they want, and Ford will now be happy to allow changes to engines and models. OK, so the order gets changed to a model and engine that Ford wants, and they look at the order in 8 months and do not build it because the customer had the nerve to order mud flaps, but Ford does not have mud flaps so instead of contacting the very patient customer the order can just get transferred to next year model.
Ford did a very good job identifying a new market and had great potential in dominating with small pick-ups but all they did was to tell Toyota, Ram, Hyundai, Chevy and all the rest to come on in we are showing the way to make money because we do not have the management commitment to build trucks and make happy customers. Could you imagine how many Mavericks would be on the road today if Ford would just have bult them, but I am seeing a lot of Sants Cruz in the area.
Great point. To take it a step further. If I manufacture widgets A,B,C,D,&E and widget E is my hottest and most sought after one. Where do you think I am going to shift my focus, especially after a full year of knowing how hot it is. I would be shifting production from widgets A,B,C and D to make more widget E's. If F150's, 250's, & 350's are not as hot as Mavericks, then gear up plants to produce more Mavericks and less of other items. The re-tooling should have been done months ago when they saw what they had. Something comparable will come along soon and it will be too late then to satisfy the customer base.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why haven't the large share holders requested a CEO change. 2 years and counting of constraints, hire a CEO that will fix the problems instead of apologizing. Design electronics around chips that are available instead of using chips that no one wants to make. Use empty rail transport to supply factors instead of trucks that will not deliver because of one way loads. Imagine where the stock price would be if Ford was able to meet the demand.
That is easier said than done, Not a Ford apologist, but I do work in supply chain

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My first post, and probably without the depth of knowledge possessed by many on this forum, but here goes. Way back in the summer of last year, it seems the organization (Ford), was surprised by the mix of models being ordered, plus the demographic target was in error as well. The customers trended older than the target demographic and the take rate for hybrids was double the prediction. Apparently, market research was correct about the demand for the product, but missed important details, primary being the mix of models and content. I would guess that by the time orders started being taken, the supply commitments were already in place, the factory and personnel already planned, so the whole process started off on the back foot. Of course, many other things have piled on since then, but Ford has been swimming upstream right from the start. I am at 15 months and counting for a hybrid.
How many other models of any car that have hybrid options do customers order 35% of the time?

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive by the Fremont plant on my daily commute. It is insane the amount of vehicles they push out of there every day. Last I checked it was about 10,000 per week.
The Tesla plant in China produces around 65,000 cars a month!

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
This really has been an entertaining experience, so much so that I’ve stopped reading. I’m not going to bash Ford anymore because of what they do TO their customers (not FOR them). Heading over to the Santa Cruz forum now where none of this asinine back and forth argumentation is needed. I once thought that I really wanted/needed a hybrid, but the more I drive the Santa Cruz I bought off the lot at MSRP, the more I appreciate an American-built vehicle from a company that doesn’t have its head firmly implanted in its ass.

@Ford Motor Company

Sikinboat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 22 maverick hybrid on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep. The plant I worked at has its rail yard in the place Next to a major freeway. Chrysler had it’s own stamping plant. Trains dropped off parts inside the plant. Lots of such plants , now idle. The one I worked at is being shut down the end of February by Fiat, and production moved to Mexico, or so I have been told. The point is, such capacity is available. But..such efficiency and production able to keep up with sales, is not fashionable in the auto industry today. Hence, tens of thousands of sales left unfulfilled.
I saw that hate that they are doing it to you guys. I work at one of the ford plants we just in 2014 added a stamping plant.

Sponsored

Dale Ducheneaux

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2023 Maverick XLT 9/16/22
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am going to inject a little Elon Musk here. First there was probably CPAs involved who advised Ford they should not spend the money on factories and commitments for larger parts contracts. We all know what Elon and Sandy Munro think of CPAs in the automotive industry. Second Elon would be making a million cars a year at the Mexico plant and have started construction on at least one more plant just for Mavericks and Bronco Sport alone.
Elon told us 2 years ago about building a truck no truck yet. Don't think to highly about Elon he is throwing 44 billion away.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great point. To take it a step further. If I manufacture widgets A,B,C,D,&E and widget E is my hottest and most sought after one. Where do you think I am going to shift my focus, especially after a full year of knowing how hot it is. I would be shifting production from widgets A,B,C and D to make more widget E's. If F150's, 250's, & 350's are not as hot as Mavericks, then gear up plants to produce more Mavericks and less of other items. The re-tooling should have been done months ago when they saw what they had. Something comparable will come along soon and it will be too late then to satisfy the customer base.
Shows that management is more concerned with their established processes than in being fluid and producing what is needed by customers. Between Toyota and Ram and Hyundai, they will dominate and leave Ford eating dust. Henry must be rolling over in his grave.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Elon told us 2 years ago about building a truck no truck yet. Don't think to highly about Elon he is throwing 44 billion away.
I cancelled my Cybertruck order after it was obviously not going to be built this century. Bought the Maverick instead. Got it and 52 mpg for half the price.😀

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw that hate that they are doing it to you guys. I work at one of the ford plants we just in 2014 added a stamping plant.
They should have build more, and a chip plant years ago.. the chip shortage was forecast long long ago.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cancelled my Cybertruck order after it was obviously not going to be built this century. Bought the Maverick instead. Got it and 52 mpg for half the price.😀
Half the price? Most expensive Maverick I've heard of :LOL:
Sponsored