Sponsored

Updated - 2nd vehicle to pair with Maverick Hybrid, $10k budget.

Bruce 2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Think you need a mini cooper convertible!
Sponsored

WildGrok

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like to keep 2 vehicles. My hybrid checks every requirement box I've got. This opens up my 2nd vehicle options to basically anything. I've got $10k to spend and am looking for suggestions. What's your 2nd vehicle?

I'll probably put 3-5k miles a year on the 2nd vehicle. My initial thought is something fun and impractical. I like to do my own maintenance and mid-lvl repairs. I'm located in a small beach town in the Midwest. Its normally just me and sometimes one of my corgis.

Update: Here's some more background and considerations.
The Maverick replaced a combo of '01 4 runner and '12 Veloster. I'm trying to avoid areas that the Maverick already has well-covered. I don't need extra towing, or additional off-road capacity. Fuel efficiency isn't a concern. I'd avoid anything with expensive repairs. I want something that I can reasonably obtain parts for and make repairs myself if/when needed. I am fond of convertibles but would like to avoid any significant top issues.

Positives: 2 seaters, manuals, non FWD, uniqueness, parts availability, power, comfort.

Cars I've ruled out: Miata, Most SUV's, BMW's, Anything too big for my garage ~7' height.

Cars I've considered, in no order: Lexus SC300/SC400, Sky/Solstice, Boxster, Toyota MR2, newer SAAB 9-3, Crossfire, Volvo C70 and C30, Buick Reatta, Focus ST, C5 vette, Genesis coupe, 2dr Wrangler, 04-06 GTO, Inf G35/37, Something classic.

I've got endless time so I'm hoping the right car will just pop out at some point, then I'll pounce.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.
The best car: Honda Fit (any year)

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Sky RL, 04 S2000, 07 Jeep CRD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pontiac Solice 2007-2009
1702918898538.png

Solstice? :)

I've got a Saturn Sky Redline, which is the same car. Pretty fun car... But it's got it's quirks. It's like a 6th car for me, so I only drive it for fun. It's a parts bin car, which can be good for finding replacement parts, but the body parts can become an issue since nearly everything is discontinued. Other than the tune, it's really fun in stock form... But I still could not help myself and added parts.

Ford Maverick Updated - 2nd vehicle to pair with Maverick Hybrid, $10k budget. 1705044862756

OP
OP

siberdraknon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid Cyber Orange
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Solstice? :)

I've got a Saturn Sky Redline, which is the same car. Pretty fun car... But it's got it's quirks. It's like a 6th car for me, so I only drive it for fun. It's a parts bin car, which can be good for finding replacement parts, but the body parts can become an issue since nearly everything is discontinued. Other than the tune, it's really fun in stock form... But I still could not help myself and added parts.

1705044862756.png
I ended up looking at a few Sky's and Solstices. They fit me quite well. I picked up a '08 Sky Redline with 36k mi for 12.5k.

brielee3

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like to keep 2 vehicles. My hybrid checks every requirement box I've got. This opens up my 2nd vehicle options to basically anything. I've got $10k to spend and am looking for suggestions. What's your 2nd vehicle?

I'll probably put 3-5k miles a year on the 2nd vehicle. My initial thought is something fun and impractical. I like to do my own maintenance and mid-lvl repairs. I'm located in a small beach town in the Midwest. Its normally just me and sometimes one of my corgis.

Update: Here's some more background and considerations.
The Maverick replaced a combo of '01 4 runner and '12 Veloster. I'm trying to avoid areas that the Maverick already has well-covered. I don't need extra towing, or additional off-road capacity. Fuel efficiency isn't a concern. I'd avoid anything with expensive repairs. I want something that I can reasonably obtain parts for and make repairs myself if/when needed. I am fond of convertibles but would like to avoid any significant top issues.

Positives: 2 seaters, manuals, non FWD, uniqueness, parts availability, power, comfort.

Cars I've ruled out: Miata, Most SUV's, BMW's, Anything too big for my garage ~7' height.

Cars I've considered, in no order: Lexus SC300/SC400, Sky/Solstice, Boxster, Toyota MR2, newer SAAB 9-3, Crossfire, Volvo C70 and C30, Buick Reatta, Focus ST, C5 vette, Genesis coupe, 2dr Wrangler, 04-06 GTO, Inf G35/37, Something classic.

I've got endless time so I'm hoping the right car will just pop out at some point, then I'll pounce.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

I picked up a 2008 Saturn sky redline

PXL_20240629_230627685.jpg
Motorcycle, much more fun than any car/truck..

Sponsored

McSwine

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat EB 4K tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2019 Fiesta ST. I had one, as well as a 2015 before that. Don't know if I've ever had a more fun car to drive.

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Sky RL, 04 S2000, 07 Jeep CRD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ended up looking at a few Sky's and Solstices. They fit me quite well. I picked up a '08 Sky Redline with 36k mi for 12.5k.

Nice find. I didn't get mine that cheap last year, but it had 9k miles on it. I then proceeded to do things I said I would f do... https://www.skyroadster.com/threads/getting-ready-to-buy.100719

If you want some tuning and/or an HP Tuners dongle, let me know. And please don't by RPM parts... They're all poorly made.

Edit: Looks like we've spoken on the Sky boards already.

Last edited: