First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Recently I had to rescue my daughters Jeep Wrangler which overheated. My car hauling trailer weights approx 1100-1200 lbs and the Jeep approx 3400 lbs.
Even though I was over the limit by 600+/- lbs I hooked up my trailer and drove an hour and half to load and tow the Jeep home (75 miles) and there were no issues. Absolutely felt comfortable with the additional weight.
I am not recommending someone tow more than the recommended 4k but in a pinch I dont think exceeding the tow limit by a few hundred pounds matters. I would think Ford has a safety margin in their towing numbers but have no clue if or what it is.
Sponsored

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Safety is up to end user. Tow rating is based on manufacturer up until recently no real time or reason hence why every year you could see a slight bump in the f-150 with no specific changes. Now they have a sae scale which they are starting to use but a lot of the test also relies on towing acceleration. That to me is not a safety issue. Closeting rates of speed is simply a judgment call by driver so doesn’t matter if you need to take longer to pass. I’ve towed double the rating with mine from Texas to Michigan was perfectly capable tow rig. I also hail my 16’ enclosed trailer with my car in it all the time.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I drove semi truck the limiting factor, besides road weight restrictions, was the individual axle weights. As long as you didn't overload an axle, you were good. Gross weight was just the sum of all axles. Steer=12k, drives and trailer =34k each. Total=80k

Personal vehicles, or atleast non-commercial vehicles are different, and I've never been sure why?

GCVWR is not the sum of all axles weights with non commercial vehicles. Previously I've had my Electra glide in the back of my pickup truck while towing my 29ft camper, and been under on each axle but slightly over the GCVWR rating when weighed.

So, my guess has been manufacturers are building in some cushion into their numbers as they might figure regular folk are not going to be weighing their loaded vehicles on truck scales and making sure they aren't exceeding weight limits, and may be over on occasion.

Regardless, I have done my best to try an stay within the manufactures ratings, assuming there may be some fudge factor in those numbers.

On edit: Also, tire weight limits should always be a factor when calculating. No overloaded tires! :)

Last edited:

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's my Maverick's spec sticker. It lists the GVWR as 5180lbs.

But the sum of the axles are 5455lbs. (2685lbs+2770lbs)

If this were a commercial vehicle the GVWR would be 5455lbs.

Why 275lbs less?

Ford Maverick Towing over 4k PXL_20240608_155010823.MP

Then for GCVWR rating. The average Maverick weighs 3674lbs. + 4000lbs (4k tow option)
=7674lbs

My single axle trailer has an axle rating of 3500lbs + the steer and drives of the Maverick = 2685lbs + 2770lbs = GCVW of 8955lbs.

8955lbs - 7674lbs = 1281 lbs less than the sum of the axle ratings.

A commercial vehicle would just be the sum of those axles.

To me atleast, that says there's some fudge factor built in to acount for everyday people using these vehicles who might not always know what their actual weights are or maybe drive in a manner that isn't safe for the amount of weight.

In my example, the fudge factor is 1281lbs, when everything is loaded perfectly.

Is my thinking off? 🤔
Sponsored