First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided
That's why I said it was mute in discussing it because of how many exchange vehicles well before the 8 years or 100,000 mile. Best of luck with your hybrid and your retirement.
I didn't get a hybrid or even 100% decide to go that route. Retirement is probably a good 7 years or more away but thanks
Sponsored

Billy2mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I remember correctly, you're in the general Philadelphia area. Maybe I'll pick up that hybrid that's scheduled to be built in May...
If you want it go for it. Chapman has them on the lot.

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both are good engines, by what data is available on their history. I don't think ones better than the other. With the exception of not only better horsepower and torque with the 2.0. One of the biggest advantages for me with having an AWD or off roading and 4K trailer towing is the 277ft lbs of torque at only 3000 rpm's. Then again not everyone tow 4000lbs or take their vehicles off road. For those wanting performance the clear winner is the 2.0.

Those living in the city, there is not much need for performance with a light every 1/8th to 1/4 of a mile. Then the 2.5 hybrid shines in that scenario with fuel economy but also with every pro there are cons. That's would be the lack of performance and the replacement of the battery if or when it needs to be replaced. Like you posted that will offset some or all of the fuel savings. Most people do not figure this cost of ownership into their fuel savings, or offseting ones fuel savings. If I'm not mistaken even Ford extended service plans will not cover the battery past the 8yr or 100,000 mile electric component coverage that comes with it.
It's common for Escape hybrid cabs in NYC to exceed 300,000 miles on the original battery. The Escape hybrid was introduced in 2004 and is much the same as the drive train of the Maverick. Both are Toyota engineered. Compared to other hybrid batteries the Maverick battery is a bargain.

Unlike the ECB there are no drive belts to replace on the Maverick hybrid as there is no conventional alternator, AC compressor or power steering pump. Those are all electric and place no drag on the engine and generate far less engine noise. Due to its re-gen braking system pads rarely need to be replaced. The eCVT uses gears instead of CVT belts which can stretch and wear out. Last tests I read showed a second more in 0-60 times of the hybrid vs the ECB. I've driven each engine type and both had plenty of pep.

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
If you want it go for it. Chapman has them on the lot.
Yeah I was hoping for an interest rate cut as I'm not going to trade my car in and likely give it to my son... Or maybe when the 2025s come out the 2024s will become a bit less desirable and I can get a better deal. Yeah I'm going to take a drive-by Chapman and Horsham next week when I'm in that area and see what they have sitting around on the lot. Thanks

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's common for Escape hybrid cabs in NYC to exceed 300,000 miles on the original battery. The Escape hybrid was introduced in 2004 and is much the same as the drive train of the Maverick. Both are Toyota engineered. Compared to other hybrid batteries the Maverick battery is a bargain.

Unlike the ECB there are no drive belts to replace on the Maverick hybrid as there is no conventional alternator, AC compressor or power steering pump. Those are all electric and place no drag on the engine and generate far less engine noise. Due to its re-gen braking system pads rarely need to be replaced. The eCVT uses gears instead of CVT belts which can stretch and wear out. Last tests I read showed a second more in 0-60 times of the hybrid vs the ECB. I've driven each engine type and both had plenty of pep.
The key wording in your post is some. That's not a rule but rather an exception to the rule. Especially considering cabs are used 24/7 and don't sit like normal ownerships as well. Deep sleep and not being able to start come to mind vs an ecoboost. Also just look at the recalls on hybrids since 2022. I'm not knocking it just with comparing both vehicles one should look at everything including the belts and such that you posted.

Sponsored

Billy2mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah I was hoping for an interest rate cut as I'm not going to trade my car in and likely give it to my son... Or maybe when the 2025s come out the 2024s will become a bit less desirable and I can get a better deal. Yeah I'm going to take a drive-by Chapman and Horsham next week when I'm in that area and see what they have sitting around on the lot. Thanks
Chapman in phila. At grant and roosevelt blvd had a several xl hybrids

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually most people will get rid of the car before the battery needs replaced. If you keep it longer, I do keep cars longer than 8 years like my current car and my warranty is up on my engine, transmission, turbocharger etc. Then you're taking your chances. I think since it's charged in a very mild way, it's not being plugged into a level 3 charger, it will last over 200,000 mi before you get below 80% charge. With my current situation I only drive around 6,000 mi a year on my personal car so that will take quite a while. Once I retire I expect I'll be driving more. It's not just City driving it's also suburban. Yes, the EB is definitely more fun I imagine and I prefer the independent rear suspension but it's horses for courses. Also, there's no way in my opinion that a turbocharged DI engine is n't likely to have more issues with carbon on the valves for fuel dilution of the oil, then a non-turbocharged port injected motor that runs much less often per 100 miles for a lot of people's driving. Again I know if I get the hybrid I will be gaining fuel economy while losing some fun
You’re right he’s wrong.

FYI - I found the XLT is well worth the investment over the XL , it’s comfort, safety, looks, and more so in resale value.

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of my best vehicle buying experiences ever was at Chapman. All communication via e-Mail until picking up Maverick. At the time price was $1,400 below MSRP….had a pleasant 700 mile drive home and will most likely buy my next Hybrid from Steve at Chapman. No hassles or pressure, truck was ready when I got there, and they picked me up at the airport.

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The key wording in your post is some. That's not a rule but rather an exception to the rule. Especially considering cabs are used 24/7 and don't sit like normal ownerships as well. Deep sleep and not being able to start come to mind vs an ecoboost. Also just look at the recalls on hybrids since 2022. I'm not knocking it just with comparing both vehicles one should look at everything including the belts and such that you posted.
Don't think I used that wording but it's a fact that taxi cabs are some of the most abused vehicles in existence.

One reason I didn't buy the first model year as they are often plagued with glitches. My late 2023 had a few electrical recalls and last week a tech from the dealership came to my house and re-flashed the electronics in less than 15 minutes.

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
You’re right he’s wrong.

FYI - I found the XLT is well worth the investment over the XL , it’s comfort and more so in resale value.
I don't have direct experience but I feel like having read a lot out here the issues you're likely to have with the hybrid are more likely to be electronically for no reason the car will suddenly stop working in the middle of the road which in a way is scarier as there's no warning. I think the EB is more likely to have long-term expensive issues regarding carbon, the turbo and all that. But the hybrid once it's sorted out, assuming it is, should be more reliable looking at the mechanicals

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have direct experience but I feel like having read a lot out here the issues you're likely to have with the hybrid are more likely to be electronically for no reason the car will suddenly stop working in the middle of the road which in a way is scarier as there's no warning. I think the EB is more likely to have long-term expensive issues regarding carbon, the turbo and all that. But the hybrid once it's sorted out, assuming it is, should be more reliable looking at the mechanicals
You can't trust the internet to verify ALL THE HYBRID issues. Mostly problems are reported on the internet. I've got 22,000 miles on my MY22 HYBRID with no failures of any kind...2 very minor recalls that took 30 minutes to fix. Know at least 12 people with Hybrids and none have had any significant repair issues. I'm saving at lease $220 a month in gasoline with the Hybrid over my Honda Element/Cayman S.

Last edited:

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
You can't trust the internet to verify ALL THE HYBRID issues. Mostly problems are reported on the internet. I've got 22,000 miles on my MY22 with no failures of any kind...2 very minor recalls that took 30 minutes to fix. Know at least 12 people with Hybrids and none have had any significant repair issues. I'm saving at lease $220 a month in gasoline with the Hybrid over my Honda Element/Cayman S.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure the Cayman is a bit more fun though...lol. God willing it's a manual
Sponsored