Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat w/ Lux + BAP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does anyone have any recommendations for a strip light for the rear tail brake light? Perhaps one that can be plugged in by the hitch?
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I'm not a fan of the "line of fire", but I do like the idea of additional rear lighting, so I sought out other options. I've never come across a line of fire that is SAE/DOT-compliant and they do not have enough differentiation between "tail" and "brake".

On my old truck I had a tailgate warning light bar from SpeedTech Lights. It does not have Stop-Tail-Turn (STT) capability. It worked well for what it was intended for.
https://www.speedtechlights.com/tai...dual-row-truck-tailgate-led-warning-light-bar

I currently have a WeatherTech BumpStep XL with two Maxxima M42206R STT lights on it. Not the best option for the Maverick since it would obscure the license plate.

For the Maverick, I'd be tempted to either install one Maxxima M42206R opposite the license plate as a rear fog light, or install the license plate in the trailer hitch and install two Maxxima M42206Rs.

I've done something similar in the past (install two extra STT lights in the bumper). Anecdotally I noticed that people tended to brake earlier and/or not get as close after I installed them. I left the taillight function unused; only used stop and turn.

Also on my old truck I had a headache rack with STT lights mounted on it. I had one person walk up to me at a gas station and mention how nice the lights on the headache rack were because he could see them above all the other cars in traffic.

SteveM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2017 Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The real problem is, if you have CP360, anything plugged into the hitch plug causes the BLIS and Rear Cross Traffic Alert to be inop. You must tie into the light assembly wiring to add any of the tailgate lights, or bump steps to avoid these issues.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The real problem is, if you have CP360, anything plugged into the hitch plug causes the BLIS and Rear Cross Traffic Alert to be inop. You must tie into the light assembly wiring to add any of the tailgate lights, or bump steps to avoid these issues.
Also you cannot add or subtract current draw to the tail light circuits . Curt and others make a relay which have a plug to go between harness and tail light assembly that requires is own 12v supply to power lights and or trailer even a 7pin plug.

SteveM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2017 Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I converted all of my tail/brake lights to LED utilizing LEDs from Lasfit, so adding a LED tailgate light bar, was/is no issue. Current draw is still less than standard incandescent bulbs.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I converted all of my tail/brake lights to LED utilizing LEDs from Lasfit, so adding a LED tailgate light bar, was/is no issue. Current draw is still less than standard incandescent bulbs.
That works if you purchase an LED bulb which has a resistor built in to keep current draw above the "no burned out bulb" condition or in some conditions excessive current indicating possible short. Seems like somewhere I saw where bulb type led or incandescent could be selected. Also someone posted that when using the 4pin trailer plug to power something that the 4pin male for the add ons had to modified to prevent truck from thinking a trailer was attached. Search for thread. If I remember correctly disconnecting white wire on male side and grounding device to body. Another wire was also switched.
Sponsored