Sponsored

Questions about adding 12v socket outlet to truck bed.

MTB316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xl
  • Banned
I see they have a bunch of these on amazon. Is one with a switch really necessary? Without it would it drain the battery with nothing plugged in it?
Sponsored

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
Nope, not at all. The only way a power point could draw any current without something plugged in is if it was equipped with some kind of light. Even then, the 12v tie ins in the bed are tied to the battery saver relay, so they'd get shut down after a certain period of inactivity anyway.

OP
OP

MTB316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xl
  • Banned
Nope, not at all. The only way a power point could draw any current without something plugged in is if it was equipped with some kind of light. Even then, the 12v tie ins in the bed are tied to the battery saver relay, so they'd get shut down after a certain period of inactivity anyway.
Thank you.

Any you can recommend? Also what size do you think the hole is?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It wouldnt drain as long as it stayed dry.

Sponsored

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
Thank you.

Any you can recommend? Also what size do you think the hole is?
They're all about the same. The hole should be about 1 ¹/¹⁶" diameter. Get one with a weatherproof cover if it's going in the bed. If possible, mount it facing down inside the top of one of the cubbies to keep water out. If you can find one rated for 20a, you won't even need the fuse, since the flex bed wiring is already fused for 20a.

Not trying to really plug anything, but this one seems to have a bunch of good reviews.
12V Cigarette Lighter Socket Car Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Lighter Socket Power Outlet Socket Receptacle Waterproof Plug By MUZHI
If anyone has any other options/opinions, feel free to post, this is just my quick search.

OP
OP

MTB316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xl
  • Banned
They're all about the same. The hole should be about 1 ¹/¹⁶" diameter. Get one with a weatherproof cover if it's going in the bed. If possible, mount it facing down inside the top of one of the cubbies to keep water out. If you can find one rated for 20a, you won't even need the fuse, since the flex bed wiring is already fused for 20a.

Not trying to really plug anything, but this one seems to have a bunch of good reviews.
12V Cigarette Lighter Socket Car Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Lighter Socket Power Outlet Socket Receptacle Waterproof Plug By MUZHI
If anyone has any other options/opinions, feel free to post, this is just my quick search.
Thanks for the advice.

I ordered this one
[Upgraded Version] 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket, Quick Charge 3.0 & PD 3.0 USB Charger Power Outlet with Button Switch, Waterproof 12 Volt Adapter for Car Motorcycle Boat Marine RV Golf Cart etc.
I'm going to mount it outside the bed though. No cubbies on my xl

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do you think it will have any problem being mounted outside?
It wont be a problem if you get a good marine type outlet. But time and weather do take their toll. I would just use it regularly to make sure it stays free of corrosion.

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Questions about adding 12v socket outlet to truck bed. 11A7EC9F-06C5-4B28-90F6-F4380AF4F3AB
Ford Maverick Questions about adding 12v socket outlet to truck bed. E0C207D7-FAA6-47EE-AC91-3B4B45914005

I installed this but I am concerned that the indicator light on the USB plug stays on and will drain the battery. I am going to order the unit with the on/off switch(3 hole) for peace of mind.

GAP

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is the wiring already installed?

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, the wiring is there.