Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve had my Maverick about a month now. We’ve had a dying tree in our front planter for a while and the wife suggested we remove it today.

We started with lopping off the branches and borrowed a small electric chainsaw from our neighbor to cut it down to a point where we could then pull it out of the ground.

The hitch I have was used with our dearly departed F-150. I was pleased to discover that it fit the receiver. I grabbed the chain we have wrapped it around what was left of the trunk and around the trailer hitch. It took some doing, but the Maverick was able to pull the trunk out of the ground!

Might have to name it the little engine that could!
Ford Maverick Doing Truck Stuff… IMG_2409
Ford Maverick Doing Truck Stuff… IMG_2412
Ford Maverick Doing Truck Stuff… IMG_2418
Ford Maverick Doing Truck Stuff… IMG_2425
Sponsored

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Beats the heck out of a shovel or digging bar.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you ever have to do it again put the chain higher up on the stomp. It acts like a fulcrum increasing leverage. Another trick is wetting the ground where the roots are but nowhere near the trucks tires, to lose traction. This is similar to wet ground and a good wind pulling roots right out of the ground.

Don't get me wrong glad it worked and you shared the story and the pictures.

clearviewx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT ECO AWD; 2011 Ranger XLT RWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’ve had my Maverick about a month now. We’ve had a dying tree in our front planter for a while and the wife suggested we remove it today.

We started with lopping off the branches and borrowed a small electric chainsaw from our neighbor to cut it down to a point where we could then pull it out of the ground.

The hitch I have was used with our dearly departed F-150. I was pleased to discover that it fit the receiver. I grabbed the chain we have wrapped it around what was left of the trunk and around the trailer hitch. It took some doing, but the Maverick was able to pull the trunk out of the ground!

IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
Love the socks

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
well done Sir !!

Sponsored

Zandrave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hannah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
Impressive!!

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Very nice stumpin!

OP
OP
JPinPA

JPinPA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you ever have to do it again put the chain higher up on the stomp. It acts like a fulcrum increasing leverage. Another trick is wetting the ground where the roots are but nowhere near the trucks tires, to lose traction. This is similar to wet ground and a good wind pulling roots right out of the ground.

Don't get me wrong glad it worked and you shared the story and the pictures.
Good catch! My wife took the first shot early on when we first hooked up to what was left of the tree, I moved the chain up after the first crack at it. Also moved from pulling sideways (after loosening in that direction) to pulling it towards the front of our property for the final pull.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good catch! My wife took the first shot early on when we first hooked up to what was left of the tree, I moved the chain up after the first crack at it. Also moved from pulling sideways (after loosening in that direction) to pulling it towards the front of our property for the final pull.
I saw that but the higher you go the more leverage you are creating. Only issue if the tree is rotting or weak it can snap the trunk. That trunk in the picture looks pretty solid. I bet your glad it's out of there.

My post was meant for future reference or if others reading are needing to do something similar.
Sponsored