Sponsored

Bumper Paint Peeling Issue

Deleted member 6544

There have been numerous reports of paint chipping with recent ford models. Its not just the maverick. And ford even got sued over it to have it covered under warranty. Yes, it's an issue. Assuming you drive a chevrolet corvette, that might explain why you don't have paint issues. If you had a ford corvette though, you wouldn't be saying what you are saying right now.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of those issues, specifically the contaminated aluminum substrate causing chips and peeling issues. Or the fact the class action lawsuit was denied. Sure bad paint jobs happen. I'll also say that as a Tech Service Rep for an OEM supplier lasting 35 years I can say in all honestly that 90-95% of 'bad paint' complaints were either processing problems or substrate issues, (contaminated aluminum, uneven film builds?).
As far as my, (1979), Corvette is concerned, (repaint 3 years ago), it has more friggin chips in it than I care to count. Bad paint? I doubt it. How about the design of said vehicles. The Corvette gets in the way of every pebble thrown in the air. Plus I might only have 2,00 miles in it in those three years?
As I said before I stand by my posts.
Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Another data point / comparison for those interested.

Next to my Maverick sits a 2021 Toyota Highlander Limited. On this one my readings fall between 4.5 to 5.5 mil. The paint is much more consistent in thickness along a given line - pick a line, say midpoint on the Vehicle side, and measure front to back and all readings are within .2 mil, pick a line along the top of fender and front to back the readings are higher than below by about 1 mil, but are consistent along that elevation within a very tight range as well.

The overall thickness is consistent with what I have seen, it is certainly thicker than the Ford, but this is due to being a three-part paint system (pearlized). It is no more immune to stone chips than my Maverick, unfortunately being a lighter color shows them much more readily.

I am a long time Toyota guy, never wanted nor trusted a Ford, raised as a Chevy man, but so far my apparent "Unicorn" has been good to go.

Deleted member 6544

Interesting observations Bill. Odd that they'd be more consistent. Robotics are supposed to stop inconsistent film builds. When I get my Maverick I'll also take readings. Arrival date July 12-19. But we know how that goes.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Fingers crossed she arrives on time - hopefully you will be as satisfied as most of us are.

I agree on the consistency deal, I assume they are using Fanuc robotics but I have not really seen much on how the Hermisillo booths are setup, sometimes there are compromises in how well the "shape", in this case the truck body and panels, fits within the spray booth / arm array.

I have seen some of the arms with what would appear to be a stupid amount of joints, but when you see how well it can keep the tool spaced off (or on) the work surface of something like a car body it all makes sense.

As usual, dollars drive the compromises.....

Like the pic change, nice third-gen. L82?
Bill

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A clear film would be a good investment. The paint on these are reported to not be the best.
I have the clear film on my 23 Lariat from thr factory. I also religiously professionally detail 2x a year. I do not hand wash. I carnwash every two weeks and the car is garaged underground in my complex. I have driven country from Fla to Lis Angeles without a chip. No paint issues.
Does anyone have paint issues that regularly detail and garage the vehicle?
Sponsored