First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write-up and attitude with all responses. This is a great example of a forum like this being used well.

Nice job estimating and confirming with real measurements. If I may, I think there is one more important thing to “measure”; if you feel in control when towing. I have had experience towing within specs that is scary and outside specs that was not. I’m willing to bet a fair few dollars that you have just about a perfect rig and will have no trouble hauling it with the Maverick. :)

Tuning the WDH to your setup can take a while but is so very with it. I personally love them for loads over 3,500lbs. :)
Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pretty darn thoughtful and well documented.

I hope Bryce Canyon is on your list, kinda appears to be. UTAH has some breath taking places. So the sky at night doesnt play any games. Joshua Tree is also awesome. The Grand Canyon will be packed during the time frame your going, but start earlier hydrated and end late in the evening. The way your map has you traveling to the Grand Canyon is through Indian land, make sure you have gas and extra gas cans. Everyone closes up early in those parts if your doing night driving.

Wow what a journey.
If go close to Moab, the Arches and the views of the Colorado River from Dead Horse Point are spectacular.

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '15 Chevy Spark EV, '03 Honda S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write-up and attitude with all responses. This is a great example of a forum like this being used well.

Nice job estimating and confirming with real measurements. If I may, I think there is one more important thing to “measure”; if you feel in control when towing. I have had experience towing within specs that is scary and outside specs that was not. I’m willing to bet a fair few dollars that you have just about a perfect rig and will have no trouble hauling it with the Maverick. :)

Tuning the WDH to your setup can take a while but is so very with it. I personally love them for loads over 3,500lbs. :)
Good point. I tend to get hung up on specs and numbers due to my job I guess. Thanks for reminding me of the intangibles like confidence and feel while driving. So far on the two trips I made (one 20km countryside roads and one 200km highway) I felt great if not maybe overly confident because I had expected the truck to struggle a bit more. Note though that this was at sea level without any major road challenges.
Thanks for your message :D

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If go close to Moab, the Arches and the views of the Colorado River from Dead Horse Point are spectacular.
Arches is definitely something we are looking forward to! I'll ask my wife about Dead Horse Point, she's the one building the activity/point of interest list at the moment. Thanks!

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Arches is definitely something we are looking forward to! I'll ask my wife about Dead Horse Point, she's the one building the activity/point of interest list at the moment. Thanks!
I'd second Dead Horse Point as a worthy stop over since you'll be in the area. Just beware, it's a state park and thus entry is not covered under your National Parks pass. It was $20 for a car this time last year.

Sponsored

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I'd certainly plan for a service stop/Oil Change during that trip, maybe halfway. That's a lot of high stress miles on the ecoboost.

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I'd certainly plan for a service stop/Oil Change during that trip, maybe halfway. That's a lot of high stress miles on the ecoboost.
Yes, its lost somewhere in the thread but I plan to have the fluids checked & replaced either when I reach Vegas, SoCal, or Flagstaff.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd second Dead Horse Point as a worthy stop over since you'll be in the area. Just beware, it's a state park and thus entry is not covered under your National Parks pass. It was $20 for a car this time last year.
Been years since I was out there at that time it was free entry.

Noahma

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like a great trip! Here is a little bit of info for the time you wander into Colorado. Most of our parks are now on summer timed entry signups. So before you get here, go to the websites for the parks you would like to visit and sign up for a time slot. The two biggest are Rocky Mountain National park over Trail Ridge Road (although, you might want to leave the trailer where your staying for that one) And Hanging Lake outside of Glenwood Springs.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Go to both of those places mentioned above in Colorado.
Also, in CA we found most NP are close to empty in October. Our favorite time to visit is October.

Some camp sites close Nov.1 due to the incoming snow season. But some of our best visits were mid-late October.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks like you are missing Northern California? What a pity. Try to come north.
Everyone should see 30 foot diameter 350 foot tall Redwood trees. And California has more Volcanos than Hawaii. You should drive the Volcanic Highway in Northern California. Dozens (hundreds?) of caves and lava tubes to explore and no crowds.

Highly recommend the parks in Northern California.

Example:
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 37636BFB-CF7C-403E-871C-4EA83855C3D2

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] A7BC4A82-3BC8-4955-A1C7-9A8A61533443

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 2CAC7CBC-DE7C-4BB7-9FFA-AF899FF5CA1C

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685555806117

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway
Northern California and Southern Oregon

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685556140577

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685556213772

If you make it to Southern Oregon, Crater Lake should not be missed.
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685556402159

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone should see 30 foot diameter 350 foot tall Redwood trees. And California has more Volcanos than Hawaii. You should drive the Volcanic Highway in Northern California. Dozens (hundreds?) of caves and lava tubes to explore and no crowds.

Example:
37636BFB-CF7C-403E-871C-4EA83855C3D2.jpeg

A7BC4A82-3BC8-4955-A1C7-9A8A61533443.jpeg

2CAC7CBC-DE7C-4BB7-9FFA-AF899FF5CA1C.jpeg

1685555806117.png
Your photos are stunning! We will not be visiting Northern California this time around, we are planning a separate trip for that in the next 5-10 years.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am about to embark from San Francisco, through most of B.C. to some of Y.T. and the southern part of Alaska near end of summer in our Maverick.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Example:
37636BFB-CF7C-403E-871C-4EA83855C3D2.jpeg

A7BC4A82-3BC8-4955-A1C7-9A8A61533443.jpeg

2CAC7CBC-DE7C-4BB7-9FFA-AF899FF5CA1C.jpeg

1685555806117.png
That's really interesting information about the volcanoes! I've seen the sequoias and they are a sight to behold! It's just a mindblower when see how huge they are and that some are older than America!
Sponsored