First Name
Neils
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They can praise Maverick all they want but most American women with children don't like small trucks. They like Minivans, Explorers or F-150 sized vehicles. That's really where the market limit lies. If your wife doesn't want the Maverick, it's a non-starter.
These American women need to stop making their kids so fat because then they could all easily fit into Mavericks.
Sponsored

Zed79

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wonder How many here got a Maverick because the wife wanted it. ✋
I recall the 4 door Dakota judging from what the clutter seemed to be mainly Female drivers as well. Maybe Bronies ? :wink:

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder How many here got a Maverick because the wife wanted it. ✋
I recall the 4 door Dakota judging from what the clutter seemed to be mainly Female drivers as well. Maybe Bronies ? :wink:
My wife was a contributing factor in my decision-making process. Like many here, this is my first truck. My wife had a circa 88-93 short box GMC Sienna when I met her (it was a customized show truck). She traded it in for a VW Jetta while we were dating, so she knew the positives in owning a truck.

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided
Most people that have full sized trucks don’t need a full sized truck. It’s a status thing in the U.S. where everything has to be bigger. I was just in Australia and New Zealand and they, like most of the rest of the world, don’t even have half ton trucks. It’s all midsize Rangers, Tacomas, etc. The Ford Ranger is the top selling model in Australia.
Some people need them but most don't. A coworker friend of mine has a 1 ton GMC Denali diesel that's the size of a school bus. In 6'2" and need a ladder if I was to check the oil. I told him as far as vulgar monstrosities go it's nice ... But seriously after buying it he bought a fully enclosed work trailer and an ATV to put in it. I think he was trying to justify "needing " it .... For him I think buying it was part of his life's ambitions and would probably have bought it if it was $150k. I told him I couldn't believe he paid $90k for a truck seeing that's basically his yearly salary and he replied " but that's what they charge for them now" as if buying it wasn't optional. I told him if it wasn't for his vodka habit he could have sold a kidney......

Sponsored

turbobill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XL AWD/Hot Pepper Red, 4K tow, and others.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't need an ego/manhood boasting big honking Tonka looking truck most of the time but when I do, my '97 extended cab 8 foot box 2500 Cummins 12 valve Dodge fits the bill (about 700 miles of trailer towing a year). I have larger trucks that would run over and crush these owner ego boosting Tonka trucks as well.

Otherwise my Maverick or any other number of my vehicles fit the bill for the daily grind.

Toledo Steve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ATS
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a theory: men that need BIG HONKIN' TRUCKS are compensating for inadequacies elsewhere. It's that simple. For the record: I drive a semi tractor trailer 5 days a week, and I can't wait to get out of it and into my Maverick, which is a blast to drive!

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I have a theory: men that need BIG HONKIN' TRUCKS are compensating for inadequacies elsewhere. It's that simple. For the record: I drive a semi tractor trailer 5 days a week, and I can't wait to get out of it and into my Maverick, which is a blast to drive!
That theory probably has origins in Freudian psychology

Sponsored

bartflossom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver XLT Hybrid - "Dirk"
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 35yo daughter needed a new car 2 years ago and I told her to look at the new maverick small truck. She gave me a look like "eww", but she listened to me. When she saw the picture of one in Area 51 color she fell in love with it. A few weeks later she texted me she went and bought one and I said, "WHAT? You can't just go BUY one! They're hard to get." But she had been watching the dealers on-line and one popped up. She took a half day pto and went and bought it. I never asked her how much over sticker she paid. I don't want to know.

2 years later and she still loves it.

Oscarcat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Lariat, Lexus NX 300, PT Cruiser 5 spd. C172P
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find his line of reasoning appealing. Particularly for those of us in urban areas and places where 87 gas regularly costs $5/gallon.

I am, howeve. a little concerned that he couldn't tell the difference between pleather in the Lariat and leather.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people need them but most don't. A coworker friend of mine has a 1 ton GMC Denali diesel that's the size of a school bus. In 6'2" and need a ladder if I was to check the oil. I told him as far as vulgar monstrosities go it's nice ... But seriously after buying it he bought a fully enclosed work trailer and an ATV to put in it. I think he was trying to justify "needing " it .... For him I think buying it was part of his life's ambitions and would probably have bought it if it was $150k. I told him I couldn't believe he paid $90k for a truck seeing that's basically his yearly salary and he replied " but that's what they charge for them now" as if buying it wasn't optional. I told him if it wasn't for his vodka habit he could have sold a kidney......
My cousin had a young co-worker working in the mines who was paying like $1,700 a month for a fully loaded 2500 GMC. He basically had the mentality of "I'm making good money so I'll buy nice things" he didn't seem to understand the reason people working in mines are paid well is because it's terrible for someone's health. So it's not like he's still gonna be making that kind of money in 10-15 years, it's not sustainable.

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
My cousin had a young co-worker working in the mines who was paying like $1,700 a month for a fully loaded 2500 GMC. He basically had the mentality of "I'm making good money so I'll buy nice things" he didn't seem to understand the reason people working in mines are paid well is because it's terrible for someone's health. So it's not like he's still gonna be making that kind of money in 10-15 years, it's not sustainable.
I tried to explain to him that he didn't HAVE to buy it but he just looked at me like I was suggesting he shouldn't breath. 🤷
Sponsored