First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been using regular has in my awd Mav since I got it. I was wondering if I filled an empty tank with premium if I would notice any difference. Or would it take a few tankfulls. Thanks
Sponsored

Msradke

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have used 87 , 89 93. and 90 Rv gas. 87 is junk, 93 is better smoother running , 90 Rv runs great best fuel mileage. For over all driving 89 is my choice, If towing or long trip 93 would be my choice. 90 RV will be for play time , high cost.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been using regular has in my awd Mav since I got it. I was wondering if I filled an empty tank with premium if I would notice any difference. Or would it take a few tankfulls. Thanks
From what I've read I think this only helps when towing a heavy load? I don't think it's worth the extra cost I.m.o.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have used 87 , 89 93. and 90 Rv gas. 87 is junk, 93 is better smoother running , 90 Rv runs great best fuel mileage. For over all driving 89 is my choice, If towing or long trip 93 would be my choice. 90 RV will be for play time , high cost.
Curious why you say 87 is junk? That's all I have used for the past year.truck runs great and averaging 33 mpg. When my wife drives 29 mpg.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Over the years any time I use 87 my vehicles don't like it. Sure they will run but I notice a little lower mpg and the engine will ping when the weather warms up. Just by switching to 89 fixes the issue. Personally I will never run 87.

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1000's of ECOboost owners have posted there is no difference except at high or wide open throttle.

So it's up to you and your driving style.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think anything you notice will be confirmation bias. You are looking for a "change" and your brain will find one to satisfy the desire.

Part of the reason I don't think you will see an actual change is that the truck is actively tuning itself constantly. It will adapt to the ignition profile/fuel mix/timing blah blah blah of the fuel and compensate so that it seems to us dumb humans like it is performing like it always has been. To prevent knocking, etc.... Will it need to "work less" with higher octane fuel? Maybe? But I don't think us humans would detect it without data loggers and spreadsheets and graphs of real-time data.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drive conservatively and don't tow.

In my 22 EB FWD Lariat, I tried both of the common gas - 87 and 91 - offered at Costco [and yes it is top-tier. Expensive name brand stations offer 89]

Didn't feel any more or less peppy. As others wrote, if you tow, go for 91 but otherwise it is not cost effective. My unscientific mpg was about the same.

tddawson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT 2.0 AWD, BAP 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ran my tank of 87 to near empty, filled with 91 and noticed an immediate change, especially in the low end. My 2.0 8 speed would feel kind of sluggish in the 30-45 range on 87, almost lugging. It is way more responsive on 91. The best recommendation I have is to try it!

Sponsored

daver401

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went on a trip over 5000 miles into Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado using only 91 and 93 and overall averaged 5 MPG more, including headwinds of 50 MPH. At home I alternate between 87 and 91 and usually fill when tank is half empty. Just over 20,000 miles total on Maverick in 9 months.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our EB was built for the higher octane and will simply retard timing when it senses knock. Running on higher octane is (for lack of better words) more efficient and gentler.

Msradke

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fuel varies greatly around the country. I have owned several ecoboost engines and 89 is the octane I will use. I have been a tech for 50 years , dealer for most of the time. I have monitored fuel mileage with test equipment and there is a difference in fuel.
89 for me is middle ground . 93 or 90RV for towing. 89 the rest of the time
Sponsored