First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After reading about 4WD PTU units being underfilled from the factory, I decided to go ahead and change the fluid in the eCVT yesterday. I have 14,000 troublefree miles and was doing my third oil change at the same time while I had the splash shield off. I found a couple of things I was not expecting.

The 14 mm drain plug for the eCVT was a lot looser than I was expecting. It wasn't finger tight, but took very little effort to turn with my wrench. It does have fine threads going into an aluminum housing so I was careful not to overtighten when I replaced it.

I drained about 3 quarts of fluid (shown in the 1 gallon jug photo) and refilled with 4 quarts before it started to run out the fill plug hole. I believe it was slightly underfilled at the factory. Probably not enought to damage anything but still a little underfilled.

The fluid was darker than I thought it would be, but didn't smell burnt or unusual. There were a few metallic flecks in the pan, but I expected that.

Overall the job was about as easy as doing an oil change, especially with the splash shield already removed. And the peace of mind is worth a little to me since I plan to keep the truck long term. I plan to wait another 30K and do the drain/fill again.

Ford Maverick Changed the eCVT transmission fluid in my Hybrid Maverick trans fluid

Ford Maverick Changed the eCVT transmission fluid in my Hybrid Maverick mercon ULV
Sponsored

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did you fill the transmission? Hose, funnel?

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP
72Maverick

72Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did you fill the transmission? Hose, funnel?
I used a hose and a funnel I made for this kind of job. You could use a hand pump, but that's a lot of pumping to get 4 qts in there.

OP
OP
72Maverick

72Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have one of these I use for filling my boat lower unit and the differentials on my Expedition works great. It won't fit the larger openings on the Mercon containers so you would have to transfer the fluid to a regular quart bottle. Then pump for a while to get 4 qts in there. Just easier/faster with a little hose and funnel.

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That seems like an excessively short eCVT fluid change interval, given that (a) the manufacturer specified the first change at 150k miles, (b) its essentially just a diff and not a tranny with clutch packs and overheated fluid to wear out, (c) people who have changed it report that the fluid is clean with essentially no metal in it. Unless its been in a flood, I think I'd believe Fords recommended interval in this case.

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a SUPER SHORT and no way needed transmission oil change interval.

2005 eCVT (generation 1) had LIFETIME oil in a sealed system.

I think Ford now recommends changing at 150,000 mile intervals.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What's everybody changing their oil at after purchase for the first change?3k?5k?
OP's truck is a Hybrid. Yours is an ecoboost. Oil change intervals are different for each because the Hybrid's ODO reading is much higher than the miles on its gasoline engine.

A search should find TONs of threads on your question for ecoboost owners.

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After reading about 4WD PTU units being underfilled from the factory, I decided to go ahead and change the fluid in the eCVT yesterday. I have 14,000 troublefree miles and was doing my third oil change at the same time while I had the splash shield off. I found a couple of things I was not expecting.

The 14 mm drain plug for the eCVT was a lot looser than I was expecting. It wasn't finger tight, but took very little effort to turn with my wrench. It does have fine threads going into an aluminum housing so I was careful not to overtighten when I replaced it.

I drained about 3 quarts of fluid (shown in the 1 gallon jug photo) and refilled with 4 quarts before it started to run out the fill plug hole. I believe it was slightly underfilled at the factory. Probably not enought to damage anything but still a little underfilled.

The fluid was darker than I thought it would be, but didn't smell burnt or unusual. There were a few metallic flecks in the pan, but I expected that.

Overall the job was about as easy as doing an oil change, especially with the splash shield already removed. And the peace of mind is worth a little to me since I plan to keep the truck long term. I plan to wait another 30K and do the drain/fill again.

trans fluid.jpg

mercon ULV.jpg
I plan on doing mine at my next oil change at 35,000 miles. I use Amsoil in everything I have and use their EZ Fill QTs. Its basically and thin plastic paper like container that you can just squish all the oil out of, it works quite well. I will do it again at like 70,000 miles.

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's everybody changing their oil at after purchase for the first change?3k?5k?
I did my first oil change at 1,500 miles, next one 3,500 miles later at 5,000 and every 5,000 since. Never has used any and OLM never went below 50% oil life left. Almost 35,000 miles and no problems.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did my first oil change at 1,500 miles, next one 3,500 miles later at 5,000 and every 5,000 since. Never has used any and OLM never went below 50% oil life left. Almost 35,000 miles and no problems.
Not due to the excessive oil changes.
Sponsored