Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Taking my 2023 Lariat Hybrid in for the latest recall. The reprogramming of the BCM because the tail lights/brake lights might not come on. Have you had it done? Did it cause any other problems.
17 years of Toyota vehicles. ONE recall. THREE recalls in 10 months with the Ford.
Aichi is looking better than Detroit every day.
Sponsored

Reactions: JJM

stevj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Better to wait until you have your notification letter from Ford.
It already shows up on my FordPass app, but according to several sources in the automotive press, Ford will notify affected owners by mail during the period 20 - 24 May. That's still a couple weeks away.
If I let Ford fix this, I intend to wait until after that time, so the procedure has had time to get to all the Ford service centers, and the "techs" have had a bit of practice with the procedure.

From several sources:
" It’s important to note that this BCM software issue does not affect the stop lamps, turn signals, or headlights. The calibration of the BCM’s current threshold, set for one bulb, mismatches with the dual bulb setup in the rear lamps, causing the deactivation."

I interpret that to mean it's only the rear parking, or night time rear running lights that are affected.

See the details here.

Steve

Last edited:

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tech forgot to reset DTC codes. I still have hyperflash issues with Lasfit, disabled rear outage 😁

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Taking my 2023 Lariat Hybrid in for the latest recall. The reprogramming of the BCM because the tail lights/brake lights might not come on. Have you had it done? Did it cause any other problems.
17 years of Toyota vehicles. ONE recall. THREE recalls in 10 months with the Ford.
You definitely have not looked at a recent Toyota. Tacomas where the rear axle actually falls out due to strained pinch bolts. Failing fuel pumps. Brake master cylinder seal failures. Differential leak. Transmissions that drive forward when in neutral. Transmissions that hunt an awful lot because of a mismatched engine combination. Rear cameras that routinely fail. Toyota quality sucks today, and yet you still pay at least 30% more for an equivalent vehicle.

The Maverick definitely has a better track record at this point, and almost all of the recalls are due to software issues that are almost trivial to apply.

JetFixxxer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat x2, Lux, Co-pilot 360 Assist
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What generation Toyota did you own? I'm pretty sure Toyota's first gen vehicles have had more than one recall. You can compare just by going to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls .

Aichi isn't looking any better than Detroit.
'23 Tundra Hybrid have 6 recalls and ICE have 8. '24 has 1 for the Hybrid and 2 for the ICE.
'23 Taco has 3, '24 has 0.

My '23 Mav has only have one..

Sponsored

OP
OP
SLINGSHOT

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Matrix, Camry and current Toyota is a 2017 RAV4, which I kept as a backup car for the Ford. It looks like the car companies have "improved" and "perfected" their products to the point where they are barely worth having. Maybe I should try to hunt down my 1949 Chevy. I could fix it with a hammer, pliers and clothes hanger wire. A book of matches served as points file and point gap measurer. If it didn't turn over, I hit the starter a couple of times with the hammer, and off we went.
The Aheader We Go, the Behinder We Get.

jorl

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav HYB XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Matrix, Camry and current Toyota is a 2017 RAV4, which I kept as a backup car for the Ford. It looks like the car companies have "improved" and "perfected" their products to the point where they are barely worth having. Maybe I should try to hunt down my 1949 Chevy. I could fix it with a hammer, pliers and clothes hanger wire. A book of matches served as points file and point gap measurer. If it didn't turn over, I hit the starter a couple of times with the hammer, and off we went.
yeah,I miss my '61 Chevy P/U-you could sleep 2 in the engine compartment and I've hit that starter many times

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're not wrong.

I have a pre-WWII silent film.
Shows COMPLETE engine disassembly with 9 tools.

Gatekeep

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, vintage Vespa x2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New Model

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What generation Toyota did you own? I'm pretty sure Toyota's first gen vehicles have had more than one recall. You can compare just by going to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls .

Aichi isn't looking any better than Detroit.
'23 Tundra Hybrid have 6 recalls and ICE have 8. '24 has 1 for the Hybrid and 2 for the ICE.
'23 Taco has 3, '24 has 0.

My '23 Mav has only have one..
People always have rose tinted glasses for their favorite brand. People will wax on about Toyota but don't you dare point out an entire generation of trucks folding in half. To the point of generating an entire name, the Taco.

The other consideration is that our government has simply become better at forcing recalls. Vehicles have become a lot more complex therefore having more opportunity for recalls.

Across the board vehicles are much more reliable than they ever have been in the past.

Sponsored

stevj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a FYI -
For anyone who has done this taillight mod; this mod totally disables the low-wattage filaments that are the subject of this recall.
If you intend to have this recall done, you should put new bulbs in before taking your Maverick to the dealership for the recall work, otherwise, those lamps will still not light up.

Steve

boxster03

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan to let my taillights go out - get rear ended in a horrific accident and then have my family own FORD afterwards

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford (or any brand) is damned if they do or damned if they don't do recalls. I for one am happy they are trying to keep ahead by doing the recalls. Is it an inconvenience, Yes. But it's better than not being informed.

I just got a snail mail recall about the engine losing oil and gas, causing a fire, and the fix is a PCM update. I still have the dash light, taillight recalls to do. I am going to wait for the mid May recall and have them all done at one time. ;)

OP
OP
SLINGSHOT

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got the recall done, and an oil and filter change at 6600 miles. Half hour for everything and only 20,000 of my 42,000 points used.

They had two V8 crate motors on the floor. I tried to talk them into a swap. They tried to tell me neither one would fit. I told them that fender wells were over rated. "Just take out what's in the way, and drop 'er in." Nope. Came home with the 2.5 still in there.

Gotta love small town America.

4chEEsesmoothie

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So far so good, the only thing I noticed that was strange is that my phone was connected to the car but it was giving me a lot of trouble playing music. I had to delete my phone from the car and reconnect it. Works fine now. I think a big problem is all the people using fore-scan to customize things, they are always the people that have loads of problems after these updates.
Sponsored