2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's been awhile and I figured we all need another Air filter thread - LoL -

Anyways I am @ 17k and the OEM filter is pretty dusty. Always been a KN fan but seems most folks are just not into that anymore.

What filter are the cool kids using these days ?

Cheers -
Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been awhile and I figured we all need another Air filter thread - LoL -

Anyways I am @ 17k and the OEM filter is pretty dusty. Always been a KN fan but seems most folks are just not into that anymore.

What filter are the cool kids using these days ?

Cheers -
K&N.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would stick to your stock air filter set up if you are going to keep your Maverick for the long run. Your filter is pretty dusty because it's working. I have had oil feed air filters in many of my vehicles and removed them because of oil contamination due to the filters passing to much outside pollutants. Many individuals will swear by them but the test in my cars that I race the filters didn't amount to a hill of beans in terms of lower ET. On the street there would be no noticeable difference except in your head because you might think you supposed to be going faster because of the filter you installed. Lots of dust and sand here I know my filter is working.:giggle:

Ford Maverick Air Filter - Trash Talk IMG_20240501_132343784_BURST000_COVER

Last edited:

S Dundee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Salvadore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
K&N cotton gauze filter media is very poor at filtration. You can look online yourself at many different test set ups, but the universal theme is that the K&N media is very imprecise, has many large passages that pass even large (20 - 30 micron) particles. A good paper pleated air filter (OEM or aftermarket) will do a much better job and is good for up to 24,000 miles.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
K&N cotton gauze filter media is very poor at filtration. You can look online yourself at many different test set ups, but the universal theme is that the K&N media is very imprecise, has many large passages that pass even large (20 - 30 micron) particles. A good paper pleated air filter (OEM or aftermarket) will do a much better job and is good for up to 24,000 miles.
Seems to be the though lately. Probably go with a Wix or similar paper. Cleaning KNs is not exactly fun. It's a mess.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Charmin

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OEM paper. There's really no logical reason to use anything else for a stock Maverick.

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Im cool and I use OEM

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would stick to your stock air filter set up if you are going to keep your Maverick for the long run. Your filter is pretty dusty because it's working. I have had oil feed air filters in many of my vehicles and removed them because of oil contamination due to the filters passing to much outside pollutants. Many individuals will swear by them but the test in my cars that I race the filters didn't amount to a hill of beans in terms of lower ET. On the street there would be no noticeable difference except in your head because you might think you supposed to be going faster because of the filter you installed. Lots of dust and sand here I know my filter is working.:giggle:

IMG_20240501_132343784_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Sorry man this is such fails info. First off let me state I have run Kn on everything for years. I’ve had 5 ecoboost now with over 300k in them this way.
I live in a farm and have raced off road for years. These filters do not let dirt trough if done right.
If you are getting oil contaminated you are over oiling. If dirt is getting in your doing it wrong.

Sponsored

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OEM paper. There's really no logical reason to use anything else for a stock Maverick.
I can’t say you’re wrong.
I like being able to clean them. So I use one. Plus I’ve had such good luck long term I stick with them.

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Sky RL, 04 S2000, 07 Jeep CRD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry man this is such fails info. First off let me state I have run Kn on everything for years. I’ve had 5 ecoboost now with over 300k in them this way.
I live in a farm and have raced off road for years. These filters do not let dirt trough if done right.
If you are getting oil contaminated you are over oiling. If dirt is getting in your doing it wrong.

You should see all the dusted engine in the SxS world that used K&N. They are very poor "filters" and that is fact. I stopped using them about 15 years ago when I found the charge pipes of my supercharged SHO lined with dirt. Even 'done properly', they will never filter as well as a better "filter".

But, there is A LOT of information in the Googles showing that K&N filters are not good at being air filters.

jollyrogerreefer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm running K&N air filter and oil filter at the moment. I read alot of people saying they don't work or are to expensive. Other people live by them. No one has mentioned them blowing the motor, and after a few thousand miles since installing it, I have no complaints.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can’t say you’re wrong.
I like being able to clean them. So I use one. Plus I’ve had such good luck long term I stick with them.
Hey, I get it, perception rules the day. 🤠

I do use a reusable K&N for my cabin filter, I think it makes sense in that application for me, since I have no allergies or sinus conditions. Oddly, you don't oil the cabin filters, just rinse them out & reinstall dry.
Sponsored