First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Over the last 3 months I’ve been fighting a clicking noise coming from the upper driver and passenger side of the windshield. I finally got the dealer shop foreman to hear it (appears to be temperature dependent, not always there on warm sunny days) and he diagnosed it as a squeaky windshield. Any one else experience this as well? I have an appointment to address early December….they also will be installing a new window seal that failed. Not sure what I should push for? New windshield?
Sponsored

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Push for the noise to go away. It might just be a trim related issue, and not need new glass. Dealers can only perform repairs that can be justified under a warranty audit. So "pushing" for things to be done is not really a thing. But, noise become worse or can manifest in cold temps. That is not unusual. And I agree that squeaks and rattles can be super annoying, but if you start chasing every tick and squeak this truck makes I have a feeling that you could get terribly annoyed with the truck over the next 3 years of warranty.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes. I've had the issue since April and been to the dealer at least 10 times by now. Next appointment is on the 21st at another dealer.

Keep pushing them to fix Ford's shit build quality.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Over the last 3 months I’ve been fighting a clicking noise coming from the upper driver and passenger side of the windshield. I finally got the dealer shop foreman to hear it (appears to be temperature dependent, not always there on warm sunny days) and he diagnosed it as a squeaky windshield. Any one else experience this as well? I have an appointment to address early December….they also will be installing a new window seal that failed. Not sure what I should push for? New windshield?
Sorry, squeaky windshield? No, warped? Maybe.

Since you have a Lariat, the front windshield is the acoustic glass, b careful what you ask since not sure what inventory is like.

I recommend another opinion.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes. I've had the issue since April and been to the dealer at least 10 times by now. Next appointment is on the 21st at another dealer.

If you had spent $150K you could still have squeaks. The general public has a really weird and often misguided sense of what they should be getting in terms of quality. Aside from that acoustic glass you bought a $20K car. You need to remember this every time you drive that truck. Have they not been able to fix it because it had not been duplicated? Or have they been making repeated repair attempts. Details matter A LOT in these conversations.

Sponsored

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same clicking or I describe it as a 'scratching' type noise from the pass side, heard last winter and started again when it got cold again - I have seen other threads talking about checking the a-pillar trim, so my plan was to check that when I go in for the airbag recall early next year...once the interior warms up a little, seems to disappear, on mine...built late last year...

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you had spent $150K you could still have squeaks. The general public has a really weird and often misguided sense of what they should be getting in terms of quality. Aside from that acoustic glass you bought a $20K car. You need to remember this every time you drive that truck. Have they not been able to fix it because it had not been duplicated? Or have they been making repeated repair attempts. Details matter A LOT in these conversations.
Let me first say that I don't care if it's 20k or 120k. It's a vehicle with a windshield that's not bonded well and that means it's a defective product. It continues to rattle constantly. On all roads. At all time. That is unacceptable.

Second, the dealership experience has been nothing but trash. They play dumb with me and they play helpless, likely because Ford pays a pittance for warranty work.

But I'm a real cranky bastard when I get treated that way and I will make sure it's fixed, even if it costs Ford 20X what it would have cost them to get it right on my new vehicle at the factory.

I'm not expecting Mercedes quality. I'm expecting basics.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let me first say that I don't care if it's 20k or 120k. It's a vehicle with a windshield that's not bonded well and that means it's a defective product. It continues to rattle constantly. On all roads. At all time. That is unacceptable.

Second, the dealership experience has been nothing but trash. They play dumb with me and they play helpless, likely because Ford pays a pittance for warranty work.

But I'm a real cranky bastard when I get treated that way and I will make sure it's fixed, even if it costs Ford 20X what it would have cost them to get it right on my new vehicle at the factory.

I'm not expecting Mercedes quality. I'm expecting basics.
I do not disagree that it should be fixed. But you are talking about a squeak in a $20k car. They are going to squeak. Period. If the windshield is really the issue, then it will likely need replaced. You didn't answer what I asked. What exactly are the dealers saying? Did they duplicate the problem beyond the one time with the shop foreman or not? You are not being completely forthcoming as you said in that post that you finally duplicated it with the foreman. Then you said in this post that it makes noise at all times on all roads. If that is true, then it should not be difficult to fix. Also, you have a very misguided view of dealers and the exchange of money. Techs get paid flat rate. A "no problem found" pays the technician zero dollars in most instances. I assure you a tech would rather have warranty repair money then no money at all.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I do not disagree that it should be fixed. But you are talking about a squeak in a $20k car. They are going to squeak. Period. If the windshield is really the issue, then it will likely need replaced. You didn't answer what I asked. What exactly are the dealers saying? Did they duplicate the problem beyond the one time with the shop foreman or not? You are not being completely forthcoming as you said in that post that you finally duplicated it with the foreman. Then you said in this post that it makes noise at all times on all roads. If that is true, then it should not be difficult to fix. Also, you have a very misguided view of dealers and the exchange of money. Techs get paid flat rate. A "no problem found" pays the technician zero dollars in most instances. I assure you a tech would rather have warranty repair money then no money at all.
The first dealer, that I've gone to multiple times, simply said they couldn't figure it out. Nada. No next steps.

What I didn't mention here? I paid $200 for a rental car while they had my Maverick for 10 days because they wouldn't cover the cost under the warranty...they thought the sound was from the skid plate. Can you imagine how incompetent/how big of an asshole you have to be as a service tech and manager to blow that much smoke up someone's ass?

The second dealer put soft tape on the A pillars. Did nothing. I'm taking it back to them again.

I've been to these dealers upwards of TEN times.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine started today making this noise. It is annoying yes, but I also remind myself that it is NOT of the build quality of a Lexus or Mercedes, so I turn up the radio and keep driving. Hell, even my Mustang and wife's Bronco may noises I don't like. But again, Ford quality versus a luxury brand is just not the same. I understand, money is money and it shouldn't matter. But, it does. Do I write Ford off because of it? No, I simply turn the radio up and drive on. If and when I need something done, I will address it with the dealer then.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mine started today making this noise. It is annoying yes, but I also remind myself that it is NOT of the build quality of a Lexus or Mercedes, so I turn up the radio and keep driving. Hell, even my Mustang and wife's Bronco may noises I don't like. But again, Ford quality versus a luxury brand is just not the same. I understand, money is money and it shouldn't matter. But, it does. Do I write Ford off because of it? No, I simply turn the radio up and drive on. If and when I need something done, I will address it with the dealer then.
I'm comparing my Maverick interior to a 2002 Accord with 190,000 miles on it. My marker of quality isn't Mercedes. It's a cheap vehicle.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll take that problem vehicle off your hands for you.

How much will you take for this lemon?

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'll take that problem vehicle off your hands for you.

How much will you take for this lemon?
😂 Too much. What I bought it for plus tax, so around 39k. But it's not worth that with 11,000 mi on it and light scratches.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The first dealer, that I've gone to multiple times, simply said they couldn't figure it out. Nada. No next steps.

What I didn't mention here? I paid $200 for a rental car while they had my Maverick for 10 days because they wouldn't cover the cost under the warranty...they thought the sound was from the skid plate. Can you imagine how incompetent/how big of an asshole you have to be as a service tech and manager to blow that much smoke up someone's ass?

The second dealer put soft tape on the A pillars. Did nothing. I'm taking it back to them again.

I've been to these dealers upwards of TEN times.
Ok, now that is super annoying for sure. Most dealers that are even reasonably well equipped can do NVH diagnostics and can even use a tool called chassis ears to try and isolate noises. The reason that is so important is that noise that seems like it is in a particular place can easily be originating somewhere else. But, if the noise is truly easily repeatable then it should be reasonably easy to isolate and repair. But, for sure that is going to be 100% dependent on a dedicated technician and also an advisor willing to tell the tech that he does not get to just punt the car. A client with a back story like this should be able to get the proper attention he needs to resolve said problem. I know it can be frustrating, but bouncing from dealer to dealer can often be detrimental. I would try to get the ear of the service manager and as politely as possible let him know your situation and that you just want help in getting your problem fixed.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ok, now that is super annoying for sure. Most dealers that are even reasonably well equipped can do NVH diagnostics and can even use a tool called chassis ears to try and isolate noises. The reason that is so important is that noise that seems like it is in a particular place can easily be originating somewhere else. But, if the noise is truly easily repeatable then it should be reasonably easy to isolate and repair. But, for sure that is going to be 100% dependent on a dedicated technician and also an advisor willing to tell the tech that he does not get to just punt the car. A client with a back story like this should be able to get the proper attention he needs to resolve said problem. I know it can be frustrating, but bouncing from dealer to dealer can often be detrimental. I would try to get the ear of the service manager and as politely as possible let him know your situation and that you just want help in getting your problem fixed.
Thank you. I got the same feedback from a third dealer...that I should stick to one.

I will give my current dealer another chance and see what they can do for me. Gotta be calm and respectful because ultimately they're not the ones that built the product. I'm likely going to request that someone from Ford contact me.
Sponsored