First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few weeks ago, I saw a picture taken several months ago, before the Maverick official release. It was taken [probably] in Michigan of a camolaged maverick parked in someone's driveway with mountain bikes in the back and the mav had a mountain bike tail gate cover probably made by Thule or the like. I think the photo was posted on Twitter or Instagram originally but now i can't find it. Does anyone have this photo or a link to it?
Sponsored

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or this one..

Ford Maverick [Picture located] mountain bike tail gate cover pad on Maverick bed 791EEC2F-17EA-46E9-A9D8-0051D9C5ADB9

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm the Santa Cruz holds one bike in the bed at an angle. The Maverick holds three not angled. Winner Maverick!

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or this one..

791EEC2F-17EA-46E9-A9D8-0051D9C5ADB9.png
Is this set up allowed here in California? This seems to be the most efficient and cost effective way to carry bikes.

Also, do you still strap the frame down on the bed or just on the pad?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats IT BigB thank you!! It was haunting me, I could not find it!

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is this set up allowed here in California? This seems to be the most efficient and cost effective way to carry bikes.

Also, do you still strap the frame down on the bed or just on the pad?
hahahahaha of course it is! I can't tell if you're catfishin or not! LOL. And to answer your question there is a strap on the back side that holds the frame. Go to any major mountain bike local and you'll see that all the Bros have this rig. Hahah. I'm about to Bro out as well as this is what my Mav will be used for.

OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks like Yakima makes a medium and large pad only. I guess this would be the medium 'gate keeper' pad. I'll be lazy, has anyone seen any dimensions for the actual tailgate yet?

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
On a related note to this, if you go with this type of bike transport you could risk damaging your finish with it. I am unsure how much better they have gotten since I first used one. Unless you are able to restrict all movement of the pad, it will rub in transit. A slight amount of dust or dirt could make its way between the pad and tailgate can put it at risk to get some nice swirly patterns in the clear coat. A lot of people split a pool noodle to put between the pad and the tailgate, though I have not tried it personally.

I'll likely go with a hitch rack, or even the DIY Ford put together for transport (if I decide to swap in a quick-release front tire on the bikes). The DIY option is a little involved for people who just want to grab the bike and go.

Of course, all that is just my opinion and I'm just trying to give people something to think about.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On a related note to this, if you go with this type of bike transport you could risk damaging your finish with it. I am unsure how much better they have gotten since I first used one. Unless you are able to restrict all movement of the pad, it will rub in transit. A slight amount of dust or dirt could make its way between the pad and tailgate can put it at risk to get some nice swirly patterns in the clear coat. A lot of people split a pool noodle to put between the pad and the tailgate, though I have not tried it personally.

I'll likely go with a hitch rack, or even the DIY Ford put together for transport (if I decide to swap in a quick-release front tire on the bikes). The DIY option is a little involved for people who just want to grab the bike and go.

Of course, all that is just my opinion and I'm just trying to give people something to think about.
I plan on having the tailgate wraped in clear vinyl. I'm not worried about the black plastic bumper. But yes the pads can hold dirt and dust and can rub on the paint. You're right.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hahahahaha of course it is! I can't tell if you're catfishin or not! LOL. And to answer your question there is a strap on the back side that holds the frame. Go to any major mountain bike local and you'll see that all the Bros have this rig. Hahah. I'm about to Bro out as well as this is what my Mav will be used for.
Great to hear! I used to go mountain biking and had a bike rack for my Civic but prefer it that way. It just looks like it's blocking the license plate and I know out here it's strict when it comes to that.

tbone947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Equinox
Great to hear! I used to go mountain biking and had a bike rack for my Civic but prefer it that way. It just looks like it's blocking the license plate and I know out here it's strict when it comes to that.
It's the angle of the picture. Think the license plate is completely visible from directly behind.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's up with the dot matrix paint job? Is that supposed to be hiding something?
Yes. This was one of the test vehicles before they revealed it to the public.
Sponsored