Distracto

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2023 XLT hybrid, now at +6k mi.. just got back from a FL to south GA trip, 300mi one way, all flat terrain..

Going up, mpg with cruise set to 65mph = 46mpg, per dash

Coming back, mpg with cruise at 75mph, sometimes pushing 80mph, passing to maintain faster speeds, etc. = 37mpg at the dash

Adjusting for the dash being overgenerous, highway at 65mpg can still yield better than the advertised 33mpg.. This is consistent with my shorter in town highway driving over the last 6k miles..
Sponsored

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
here's one of my last road
Ford Maverick Hybrid highway mpg figures.. Better than advertised at 65mph 20231227_053055
trips, 70 mph

ltelmo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL and 2023 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds about what i have been getting on interstate travel

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dash is known to be ~5% too high MPG in most cases.

But this truck does great.

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove from north central Vermont to south central NC in mid November. @980 miles and went 70-75 on the highways and either the speed limit or about 5 mph above on the secondary roads. Used eco mode the length of the trip.

It was not what I would call windy but at no time did I have a tail wind. Most of the time I was driving into the wind. I did not have any passengers but did have a moderate amount of stuff adding some weight. I have a soft tri fold tonneau cover.

The truck had about 1500 miles on it at the start of the trip so not what I would call broken in yet.

I got 36+ mpg with regular gas and calculated the old fashion way.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same experience here. I always get far better highway mileage than advertised. I do stick pretty close to the speed limits, though. Ford and the EPA must have been testing these things at 80+ MPH to get that 33 figure.

Drkuhar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 cutlass, 2011 silverado,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid drops down to 25-30 mpg on the interstate at 75mph. Still better than my silverado at 17 but not as good as i thought it would get. Have 2500 miles on the truck. Maybe cold temps, maybe not broke in yet

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just took a hwy trip... I stayed at posed speed limit up to 70 (couple of small stretched got to 75) but a lot of stretches were 65. I filled up after 367 miles I think it was on my way back because it was a store we like to get out. Anyway calculated MPG was 40.0. That has been my lowest MPG so far in my 1900 miles

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a AWD 22 Maverick and it also gets better than EPA ratings. So far 29K miles it’s showing 33.4mpg. One full tank 606 miles I got 37.6mpg(hand calculated. Most recent trip about 200 miles at 65mph got 40.1(hand calculated). Really love this Mav.

Ford Maverick Hybrid highway mpg figures.. Better than advertised at 65mph IMG_6770

Sponsored

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2023 XLT hybrid, now at +6k mi.. just got back from a FL to south GA trip, 300mi one way, all flat terrain..

Going up, mpg with cruise set to 65mph = 46mpg, per dash

Coming back, mpg with cruise at 75mph, sometimes pushing 80mph, passing to maintain faster speeds, etc. = 37mpg at the dash

Adjusting for the dash being overgenerous, highway at 65mpg can still yield better than the advertised 33mpg.. This is consistent with my shorter in town highway driving over the last 6k miles..
Rarely drive at 65. Drove my Mav cross country from Key West to Los Angeles on pickup. Therefore it was broken in on the road. Obviously a variety of conditions, but never drove under 70 or even 75 that week. Always averaged just over 38. Certainly there were legs like Sante Fe, New Mexico to Vegas where you are going downhill from over 5000 feet where mileage was higher. However, the 3200 miles we logged yielded 38.4 overall. Quite remarkable.

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We need to be vocal about persuading ford to offer a PHEV version. Just to compare, my wife’s car is a 22 Toyota RAV4 Prime. She drives it about 80% city and 20% HWY. It has a 18.1 kwhr battery that provides 3 to 3.1 miles per kwhr. I pay 13.3 cents per kwhr at home and I only charge it at home. Therefore the vehicle’s electric energy cost is 4.5 cents per mile. When in hybrid mode, as opposed to all electric mode, we get about 40 mpg of gas. I am paying about $2.80 per gallon right now, so the cost at the present price is 7.0 cents per mile for gas. I should point out that the vehicle still draws the battery done somewhat, so I do require a recharge of about 4 kwhr to top off the battery when back home.

Toyota has done a great job on the mechanical design of this vehicle. It is much heavier than the standard RAV4 for 2 reasons, 1) the weight of the battery, and 2) the heavier suspension weight. In addition, it is AWD, with an electric motor on each rear wheel and the typical larger one on the cv transmission, without any interconnecting drive shafts, providing required space for the battery pack.

I say all that to point out that the automakers know how to improve efficiencies. Certainly Ford does. And I will be first in line when they offer PHEV In the Maverick. Can’t wait! (By the way, the RAV 4 displays the average mpg of gas. For the life of the car, which is presently 8,500 miles, the number is 99.9 mpg, just because it can’t display higher.)

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We need to be vocal about persuading ford to offer a PHEV version. Just to compare, my wife’s car is a 22 Toyota RAV4 Prime. She drives it about 80% city and 20% HWY. It has a 18.1 kwhr battery that provides 3 to 3.1 miles per kwhr. I pay 13.3 cents per kwhr at home and I only charge it at home. Therefore the vehicle’s electric energy cost is 4.5 cents per mile. When in hybrid mode, as opposed to all electric mode, we get about 40 mpg of gas. I am paying about $2.80 per gallon right now, so the cost at the present price is 7.0 cents per mile for gas. I should point out that the vehicle still draws the battery done somewhat, so I do require a recharge of about 4 kwhr to top off the battery when back home.

Toyota has done a great job on the mechanical design of this vehicle. It is much heavier than the standard RAV4 for 2 reasons, 1) the weight of the battery, and 2) the heavier suspension weight. In addition, it is AWD, with an electric motor on each rear wheel and the typical larger one on the cv transmission, without any interconnecting drive shafts, providing required space for the battery pack.

I say all that to point out that the automakers know how to improve efficiencies. Certainly Ford does. And I will be first in line when they offer PHEV In the Maverick. Can’t wait! (By the way, the RAV 4 displays the average mpg of gas. For the life of the car, which is presently 8,500 miles, the number is 99.9 mpg, just because it can’t display higher.)
Rav 4 SE hybrid vs Rav 4 SE Prime is ~$10k increase in cost (not including dealer markup, which can be substantial for the Prime, these were actually going for $50k-$55k at dealers).

$0.07-$0.045 = $0.025/mi in savings

$10,000 / $0.025 = 400,000 miles to break even

Don't get my wrong, I much prefer the electric motor accel, smoothness etc if it were primary, but there is zero chance it makes a Mav PHEV financially viable.

I think this is why Elon has said plug-in cars aren't long term viable. With the money and complexity involved in Plug in PHEV vehicles, you can ship a fully electric vehicle (ie model Y for mid-40's w/ 280-300 mile range).

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

But what you don’t know is that I got a $7,500 Tax Credit on my 2022 taxes. That is why it was viable to me.

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But what you don’t know is that I got a $7,500 Tax Credit on my 2022 taxes. That is why it was viable to me.
If you followed, you'd know that is no longer available, ergo moot point.

Even if the Mav would get the same credit as the Escape PHEV (assuming you qualify, which I and many do not), you're still looking at a break even of 250,000 miles.
Sponsored